2D View Rotation

RichieHatch

Question

I also really need this feature. I bring this up EVERY year at the conference in London. Every year they give me all these work arounds! Great. I want the real thing not some convoluted process that grinds even the latest G5 to a halt. Layer Links are SLOWWWWWW to say the least. I need to position my building at an angle for how it's actually sat on the site - even if it's fairly orthogonal. All my consultants will be using AutoCAD and easily working on this. I need to import their information seamlessly.. is this too much to ask? Just like I did in Microstation. I do not need live sections, more symbols of cupbaords, more drawing sketch styles, I need 2D drafting tools to help me produce better co-ordinated 2D drawings. Is this too much to ask?

For example this is what I would do in Microstation to draw some internal elevations:

Import plan file of whole building plan on level 01 for instance. Crop it down (without un-locking anything) then duplicate it four times rotating it each way and then set up my elevations along the top. Changes needed to the plan? Easy go back to the plan file, make an amendment and go back to the elevations file. All four instances are updated..

please help us out here! Stop charging us for upgrades that only add symbols or 3D features that will only be used for 0.5% of the lifetime of a project..

Ginja

I have been doing exactly what you are suggesting for years using Layer Links (apart from the crop). Each layer instance will update with any changes to the original. I have never found plan view Layer Links to be slow.

If the Viewport protocols were applied to Layer Links so that they could be cropped and the visibility of Layers and Classes controlled through the OIP Layer Links would be a very powerful tool.

[ 03-13-2006, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

While waiting for a proper solution here is another workaround suited for a limited amount of jobs: Make symbols of every rotated object, as soon as it has been drafted. Unrotate the contents of the symbols and re-rotate the symbols themselves. Then by doubleclicking the symbol, you get a horisontal/vertical view of the contents. For reasons unknown, symbols often update much faster on screen than the very same objects represented as pure geometry.

Go to www.vectorbits.com. At the bottom left of the screen you will see a "rotate drawing" menu which you can download for free.

This will rotate the whole drawing, including classes that are turned off (invisible). It's not as convenient as Autocads UCS follow setting, that allowed you to rotate the view of the drawing (rather than rotating the actual objects) but it's the best solution I've encountered so far.

Don't forget to rotate back to to your original view when you've finished working!

I am a long time Acad user but have been using Vectorworks for only 2 years, this is one of the the first problems I found. The solution I used was to rotate the grid (Page - set_grid). Angle constraints rotate with the grid. This solved the problem for me but it would be nice to save the settings with a name or perhaps with "save view".