adjusting focal points

RobbMann

Let me preface this by saying I'm new to spotlight (learned CAD on VW8.5). However, I've had problems with both "creating a seating layout" and in placing and focusing lighting instruments in that they face 90 degrees to one side of where my handlebar says they should. For example, in dealing with the seating issue, I was trying to place a set of stacking chairs in a square polygon. I followered the routine, got the target icon for the focal point, and clicked where I wanted it. However, when switching view from top/plan to front, the result was that the chairs were sideways. The only way I was able to resolve the issue was to place a chair on my plot, rotate it 90 deg., and save it as a new symbol--a pain I don't need to go through every time. The same thing when placing a lighting instrument--I want it to aim at its focal point ( my hanging crew is all uni students with very little experiance--trying to make it as idiot proof as possible)--however, the handlebar is of by 90 deg. (get "vertical" message when the instrument is pointing sideways) so I have to rotate the icon after placing it--and, wouldn't you know, it rotates to the right, which means it doesn't have a quick key associated with it.

Basically, I want these things to point at the place I am aiming them -- this would seem to make sense to me (I want this icon *click* to point here *click*).

quote:

Originally posted by RobbMann:
Let me preface this by saying I'm new to spotlight (learned CAD on VW8.5). However, I've had problems with both "creating a seating layout" and in placing and focusing lighting instruments in that they face 90 degrees to one side of where my handlebar says they should.

This is a bug and has been entered into our bug tracking system. To work around it-open the master chair symbol file, and enter each chair and rotate both the 2d and 3d portion of the symbol so they are all "South Facing" as opposed to "North Facing." They should then insert properly.

quote:

The same thing when placing a lighting instrument--I want it to aim at its focal point ( my hanging crew is all uni students with very little experiance--trying to make it as idiot proof as possible)--however, the handlebar is of by 90 deg. (get "vertical" message when the instrument is pointing sideways) so I have to rotate the icon after placing it--and, wouldn't you know, it rotates to the right, which means it doesn't have a quick key associated with it.

The way our symbols are inserted, they don't work the way your are describing. I'm not sure how to better describe to you how to make it work because I just do it and it works! smile.gif" border="0 Think of it this way-click once and the light is north facing- then you're going to move it clockwise or counterclockwise to be at the rotation you want-you're not going to be able to move your mouse to the spot you want it to point at.

I hope this helps a bit and doesn't confuse you even more!!

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: kacey1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by kacey1:[QB]Think of it this way-click once and the light is north facing- then you're going to move it clockwise or counterclockwise to be at the rotation you want[QB]

I do this too--the point is that the mouse pointer is 90 degrees to the front of the instrument when rotating. I want to have the lens train point directly toward the mouse pointer, so when I'm rotating it (after the first click to place it on a lighting position) it is aiming at my pointer (wherever I rotate it to, it points at...)

Seeing as the seating problem is just a matter of rotating all the chair symbols by the same degree, will the seating bug be fixed in a future download?

quote:

I do this too--the point is that the mouse pointer is 90 degrees to the front of the instrument when rotating. I want to have the lens train point directly toward the mouse pointer, so when I'm rotating it (after the first click to place it on a lighting position) it is aiming at my pointer (wherever I rotate it to, it points at...)

Seeing as the seating problem is just a matter of rotating all the chair symbols by the same degree, will the seating bug be fixed in a future download?

To achieve your desired rotating-you would want your instruments to be left facing instruments- edit each symbol and rotate them 90 degrees to the left. However, this will seriously affect the label legend behavior-it would take a lot of work around in that area to make it work the way you'd like it.

I don't know when the seating layout bug will be fixed-when I find out I'll let you know.

Thanks, Kacey--right now I just use the mouse pointer, then use the rotate function to go 90 deg. to tthe right, and I get it where I want it--I was just hoping for an easier way. On a side note, is it possible to edit/reassign the quick keys?

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: RobbMann ]

quote:

Thanks, Kacey--right now I just use the mouse pointer, then use the rotate function to go 90 deg. to tthe right, and I get it where I want it--I was just hoping for an easier way. On a side note, is it possible to edit/reassign the quick keys?

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: RobbMann ]

Yes you can reassign your quick keys. From File menu select edit workspace and you can change them there. There is also more info in the manual about creating custom workspaces.