Printing

David M

Question

We print our drawings at A1 and occasionally A0. Would it be possible to include a 'Window' feature similar to ACAD to print drawings?

Currently, to print an A3 version of our drawings (as requested by clients and site managers), we convert the VW file to a pdf. The problem there of course is that this creates additional files on our server, as well as the potential for issuing out of date information.

I'm sure other users have probably requested this before.

My apologies if this has already been covered or amended in VW 9

Cheers.

6 answers to this question

David, In VW 9, you have the ability to select the paper size based on paper sizes available by the print driver. You would go to File, Page Setup and select the appropriate Page size. Then go to Page>Set Print area and select One Page. This last setting will update the print boundary box for printer setting margins. If the drawing extends past the sheet size you wish to print on, you can then scale it. In Windows, you also have the option to print current view. In OS 10 on Macs you have that option as well.

VW 8 allows you to specify the sheet size also by going to File>page Set up (mac), or File>Print Set up (on PC).

If this is not what you mean, please explain further what exactly you wish.

You should be able to use the print driver to scale down the drawing as a percentage. If your printer settings do not allow for a percetnage printing, you can use the Scale Objects command to display and print the darwing at a smaller percent. Say you want to print the drawing 3/4 smaller so it will fit on the paper. You can then set the print percent to 75%. If your printer does not have a setting for this, you can use the scale objects command from the Tool Menu. To use this, select all objects, then put in a scale factor. If you want it to scale down 25%, then you would put in .75 as the scale factor. Be sure to select text and all objects from the dialog box.

You can also change the layer scale so the objects are all smaller on the page and will all fit on the correct sheet size.

The best way to do this is to set the page to the desired size you want to print. Then scale the objects so they will fit on that paper size.

Is that what you are looking for?

Katie,

Sorry if I've not made myself clear. We are running VW 8.5.2 on PC's.

I am looking to print A1 size drawings at A3 size to a HP Deskjet 1220. I understand that it not possible to directly print an A1 size drawing to A3 i.e. scaling the drawing within VW, down to A3. This comes from colleagues - since I only have 6 weeks experience on VW.

From your reply, I assume that the above is possible in VW 9.

Regards.