Adding words to user dictionary via its .txt file

I thought I could just open the user dictionary:

C:\Users\unearthed\AppData\Roaming\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\2018\Plug-ins\Dictionaries\UserDictionary.txt

and add a whole list of words, but even Visual Studio Code will not recognise what must be a very non-standard .txt format, as each letter is padded with an unknown character.

So ... how do I add words to this thing, I'd like to dump about a 1000 in there (yes, I know this might slow it down but spelling mistakes are war crimes in my book).

vw UserDictionary_dot_txt.JPG

It would also be ideal if VW recognized a UserDictionary.txt file that resides in a User Workgroup Referenced Folder.

Sure would make distribution to the entire office way simpler and easy.

The first time you run a spell check it can take 30 minutes to "Learn" all the lingo, abbreviations and company names.

• Like 3
On 9/29/2023 at 3:26 PM, DBruhnke said:

Don't have 2018 anymore to test on Mac

Hold my beer - Thought I'd have play with this.

The dictionary is a .txt file so is pretty basic. Can't see why you thought to use Visual Studio Code, unless thats a (your?) windows preference. A windows text editor will be fine (Notepad?)

It's  happy with changes made on the fly to the contents and doesn't insist on a restart or anything like that. It even accepts new spellings without the 'tab I' additional ending - so not sure of the importance of that. But maybe keep that for another day.

First duplicate and rename your current user dictionary and park it for safety

Then take your list of words/phrases in (say) Word, copy and paste (now text) into the user dictionary.

Test it out.

Alternatively, copy and paste your list into a Vectorworks drawing as a text block and spell check the block.

On 9/29/2023 at 3:21 PM, DBruhnke said:

The first time you run a spell check it can take 30 minutes to "Learn" all the lingo, abbreviations and company names.

It shouldn't take too long to skip through the list. Make a coffee and sit and plod it though.

Assuming you are happy with the list transfer, you can make the dictionary contents available to the rest of the team.

If you keep the Vectorworks file as 'DICTIONARY' you'll be able to open it later and add more (perhaps dated?) text blocks as new projects need clients names and other details - so you can grow the resource.

Let me know if you've taken the plunge.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Gadzooks said:

Assuming you are happy with the list transfer, you can make the dictionary contents available to the rest of the team.

With 35 people all making their own UserDictionary.txt files, transferring from user to user is not simple.

The hope is to allow for a single company wide dictionary be added to the Workgroup referenced Folder

Spelling Check is very primitive in VW.

There is no Ignore all upper case words, or number and letter combinations.

With notes that are M2 and F3 or PT7, the spell check is long and laborious.

With lots of UNO and U.N.O showing up in the drawings, the dictionary file gets cumbersome.

And clicking "Learn" over and over the first time is painful

Screenshot2023-10-02at6_23_28PM.png.706722e2360a2e39a9265e984d26e9b1.png

On 10/2/2023 at 11:29 PM, DBruhnke said:

Spelling Check is very primitive in VW.

Sure is. It works so don't fix it, is what the boffins have been told.

It definitely needs some refinement, A workgroup approach would be the obvious start - as you suggest.

On 10/2/2023 at 11:29 PM, DBruhnke said:

There is no Ignore all upper case words, or number and letter combinations.

With notes that are M2 and F3 or PT7, the spell check is long and laborious.

You'll see the first time spell checker finds some of your above, the option choices are made available. 

ScreenShot2023-10-05at09_36_57.thumb.png.3c7426ef6bf05eaf333ae72570f83aee.png

I too hate words badly spelt/spelled - now we are into grammar and country - well outside the scope of VW spell checker

My preference would be for greater reliance on standard detailing with the details and any other standardised drawing parts all spellchecked/approved and ready to be included in any drawings package. I even had one well known architectural practice (🤫) send me drawings with the wrong version of their company logo.