centering gobos

quote:

Originally posted by domakid:
How do you center a gobo in the light? I can get the gobo into the light but it is off center and I get 4 of them. They seem to be centering in the beam but I get 4 quarter gobos. Any thoughts?

If you use the create gobo texture command it should take care of getting all of the offsets correct for you. If you've migrated the texture from a previous version of SpotLight you may need to adjust the offsets, or re-create the texture. Some fixes were made to RenderWorks that addressed problems with image mapping. This is most likely the cause of your offset pattern.

quote:

Originally posted by Kevin Beacham:[QB]The whole gobo projector is quite unintuative/frustrating.QB]

What aspects of the gobo projector do you find unituitive / frustrating? Can you give me some ideas on how this functionality would work in a "perfect" CAD Package.

I'm not being critical or sarcastic, I am intersted in hearing what aspects aren't working for you and if you have any suggestions for improvements to the system. I'm begining the design process for the next version of SpotLight so now's the time to get your wishes in.

TIA

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: kmoore1 ]

• 2 weeks later...

?What aspects of the gobo projector do you find unituitive / frustrating? Can you give me some ideas on how this functionality would work in a "perfect" CAD Package.?

I should preface this reply by saying that most of my use for gobo projectors is to do a hard focus on an object, as you would with cutters on a real profile. Thus having to create a new gobo for each object in the aspect ratio of that object. Then if having to focus on a rectange or square (banner, sign, projection screen etc.) having to place the gobo projector front and centre, because it would be far too difficult to create the gobo with accurate angles to have the projector at a height where the lamp would be.

But to answer the question at hand?

? The gobo renders in RenderWorks, I can fix the image in Photoshop but it makes animation less useful.? Immediately after a gobo projector is placed you have to change classes for the gobo symbol (square/loci) to be visible or selectable. I change to the class the focus objects are in, and then go back to the class I was previously using.? When gobo attributes are changed, beam and spread settings on the projector are reset to field angle settings, and individually have to be reset. The best way to keep the beam spread settings is to set the scene and then create a resource. I don?t know how this will work when I try to set up scenes?? Gobo settings (colour/colour, field angle/beam and spread). The gobo and projector could perhaps be integrated with regard to actual objects and the object info palette. It is great how you can change grouped projectors brightness, if the gobo/projectors object info were integrated maybe we could change more attributes of grouped projectors/gobos.? No soft focus ability

Ideally, you would place a lighting instrument and the ?attached? projector would have the qualities of the chosen lamp, but I?m sure you would agree with me there and that?s what you are working toward.

One more thing, and I?m sure you are working toward this as well. Atmosphere/visible beams would be great.

There are many things I love about your product and the upgrade from 8.5 to 9 was well worth the money.