Gerber file generation

David Holcomb

Question

6 answers to this question

David, In the absence of any viable route to GERBER output from VectorWorks, I have recently written a program to translate VW to GERBER. It is not yet ready for market, but if there is enough demand I would like to publish it.

I am a circuit board designer and have been using PostScript output for film from VW using another translator that I also wrote. But as tolerances tighten and overall dimensions increase, the need for GERBER output is becoming pressingly necessary. So I buckled, and wrote my own. (I think "buckled" is very appropriate here.)

I sent my first files to my board shop for evaluation today, and I am in need of testing my software. It works quite well for files I generate, but then again, it should. I handle most of the basic graphic objects; lines, circles, ovals, arcs, rectangles, polygons, polylines (these are not easy), symbols, and TEXT (my biggest cause of neuropathy and insomnia in the previous month). All objects can be filled, stroked or both (except text, just filled) and Dark or Clear. I do not handle SpreadSheets, imported images or 3D graphics, but HEY!, this is GERBER, I'm just glad I got this far.

If you would like, send me a file and I will translate it for you, or contact me at the address below. If others have an interest in this program, now is a good time to let me know.

Raymond MullinMullinRj@aol.com

Thank your for your file translation offer. While this likely would be useful, I don't have a Gerber visualization software route and hence your output would not be checkable for me. While I certainly would not in general try to do a comprehensive validation, being able to do a coordinate spot check is important to me. Please post an add if you do get a package working well enough for commercial release.

My current fabrication route is to send both a dxf and and eps file to the fab house. The dxf defines the shapes and the eps provides a fill information.

David,

Are you using a PC or a Mac? There are some free Gerber viewers on the web for the PC. I use VW on a Mac, but view the Gerber files on an OrangePC card in my Mac running Windows.

The viewer I use is ViewMate and the website is at www.lavenir.com

If you get it installed, I would still like to try a translation for you. It would help me see if I have any glaring holes in my code. So far, I am very happy with the results I am getting, especially being able to use fonts from my system. If you have ever seen Gerber output from a PC CAD system, you will know that it leaves a lot to be desired.

Best wishes,Raymond

It seems this thread is obsolete, though, I would like to support this wish. So far I am using VectorWorks (vectorscript) to design PCB patters and export the design into DXF. Then I use LinkCAD (Windows !) to convert the DXF files into Gerber. It works fine to some extent, but direct conversion without DXF is more preferable.