SQ FT / ACRES

Mark Chevalier

Question

13 answers to this question

AMEN! We recently purchased the Landmark version and I have been searching for the same feature. It is hard to believe this could have been overlooked in a program for landscape architects and site planners. If this is not available it should be at the top of the Landmark wishlist.

quote:

Originally posted by Mark Chevalier:

Is there a way for the object info pallette to show polygon area as acres as well as / instead of sq ft?

I see only sq ft and working on site plan parcels this would save a calculation every time.

We are using 8.5.2 VW.

Thanks!

------------------

As this is a nice wish list item, there is a workaround available for finding the area of a polygon in an acre measurement.

In the Page menu, go to Units. Under Unit of Measurement, Unit Name: select custom. Then click on the Custom button. A dialog box called Custom Units will pop up. Enter a unit name, in this case Acres would be appropriate. Enter in the number of units in an inch - This is where some math skills come in handy. First find out how many inches are in an acre, then chnage that into a decimal settings of how many units there would be per inch. Enter this value in the Units in an inch value box. You can set something for the unit mark or just leave it blank. In the Square Unit Mark value box, you can enter "acre" or "acres", or whatever you want the unit mark to be.

Click OK when you are done. Select this unit of measurement and click OK. The entire drawing will be in acreage units, but you will be able to click on a polygon and get the acreage reading in the Object Information Palette. You can then change the Units back to feet and inches for other VW functions.

Thanks Katie:

An alternative I have found is to make a worksheet for the areas I need to check acreage for, using a formula cell to convert from sq ft to acres.

In my case this is a little easier than changing the units setting for the drawing, as the primary use of this particular drawing requires the units in feet / inches.

Originally posted by Katie:

As this is a nice wish list item, there is a workaround available for finding the area of a polygon in an acre measurement.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Mark Chevalier:

Is there a way for the object info pallette to show polygon area as acres as well as / instead of sq ft?

No, but a quick VectorScript that does the conversion is pretty simple. If your units are "Feet and inches", the following VectorScript will show the area of all selected objects in acres:

Message('Acreage is ', Area(Sel=TRUE)/6272640);

You can create a plug-in menu item, enter that single line as the script, add it to your workspace, and give it a keyboard shortcut. Presto, acreage on demand.

------------------

Andrew Bell

andrewb@nemetschek.net

I am not an official spokesperson for NNA

quote:

Originally posted by johnharley:

I also will try this technique. However, this is something that should be available out of the box.

Hmm. One thought that comes to mind is perhaps the display system could have settings for showing values in certain ranges in certain units. For example, maybe polygons more than 10,000 square feet in size would be displayed in acres, more than .5 square feet in square feet, and below that in square inches (perhaps going down to microns, etc. as needed.)

Alternatively, the area display (and other similar displays) on the object info palette could potentially have a control associated with it that could choose between various units.

Note that this is just thinking aloud. Any further thoughts on what you think would work best?

------------------

Andrew Bell

andrewb@nemetschek.net

I am not an official spokesperson for NNA

I also will try this technique. However, this is something that should be availabe out of the box. Newcomers to Vectorworks (such as myself)are concentrating on learning the program and should not have to spend time writing scripts.

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Bell@NNA:

No, but a quick VectorScript that does the conversion is pretty simple. If your units are "Feet and inches", the following VectorScript will show the area of all selected objects in acres:

Message('Acreage is ', Area(Sel=TRUE)/6272640);

You can create a plug-in menu item, enter that single line as the script, add it to your workspace, and give it a keyboard shortcut. Presto, acreage on demand.

Originally posted by Andrew Bell@NNA:[QB]

No, but a quick VectorScript that does the conversion is pretty simple. If your units are "Feet and inches", the following VectorScript will show the area of all selected objects in acres:Message('Acreage is ', Area(Sel=TRUE)/6272640);You can create a plug-in menu item, enter that single line as the script, add it to your workspace, and give it a keyboard shortcut. Presto, acreage on demand.

Andrew:

I did the Vscript as ... Message('Acreage is ', Area(Sel=TRUE)/43560); ... as I am in decimal feet, and I am getting a strange answer.

I have a rectangle I know to be 1.0 acres and the message I get is "Acreage is 2.371".

I can't work out where I am goiung wrong - can you help?

Thanks!

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by Mark Chevalier:I have a rectangle I know to be 1.0 acres and the message I get is "Acreage is 2.371".

Does the object info palette display 43560 square feet? I created a one acre rectangle, changed units to feet, and ran your script. It worked perfectly.

I also tried running the script and got some strange answers. However, I am a beginer with VectorWorks and have zero experience with writing scripts. This illustrates why measuring in acres should be built in to the program "right out of the box". In my mind measuring objects and areas (not just closed polygons)is a must is you want Landmark and Architect to succeed.

quote:

Originally posted by johnharley:
This illustrates why measuring in acres should be built in to the program "right out of the box".

There will be a plug-in command available at http://www.vectordepot.com that should work to display acreage, regardless of your units, etc. settings. (Note that it has not received more than the most simple testing.)

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: Andrew Bell@NNA ]

Thanks Andrew! I really appreciate the instant proactive approach you have at NM.

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Bell@NNA:

There will be a plug-in command available at
that should work to display acreage, regardless of your units, etc. settings. (Note that it has not received more than the most simple testing.)

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: Andrew Bell@NNA ]