Editing Extrude w/ Paste-in-Place

Ken

Question

I've just tried 9 again this morning.

kudos...

The new preference to Show Minor Alerts in Mode Bar is excellent. Small time-saving improvements like this will add up over time. Thank you thank you thank you!

Editing Extrudes

After an extrude is moved, paste in place does not work when editing inside it. This was available in MC7 and sorely missed in VW8. Why was it taken away? I do not understand. It seems like a mistake or something overlooked going from 7 to 8. I've suffered its absence throughout 8, and now I find myself scurrying back to 7 after seeing it again in 9. Well, almost.

For example, let's say several extrudes are created and moved into place to represent a stone structure from foundation to roof. Design refinements require introducing a vertical element cutting a corner off from foundation to roof. A square is used as the trimming object (this is where the old Trim command comes in handy), and it's pasted in place on all the extrudes in its path vertically, on all layers, including the roof faces. But it's much more difficult in 8 and 9 than in 7. Why oh why oh why?

Please please please please.

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Archken:

After an extrude is moved, paste in place does not work when editing inside it. This was available in MC7 and sorely missed in VW8.

Use a floor object instead of an extrude. Extrudes are for true 3-D objects, where they can be rotated out of the X-Y plane, and thus there is no relationship between the ground and the extrude's "local" 2-D space.

Floors, on the other hand, must remain aligned with the ground. So you can do your copies and paste in place, and things stay aligned. Move the floor, and the internals move with it.

Is there some reason you're using an extrude rather than a floor?

------------------

Andrew Bell

andrewb@nemetschek.net

I am not an official spokesperson for NNA

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Bell@NNA:

Use a floor object instead of an extrude...

Is there some reason you're using an extrude rather than a floor?

Okay, I will try to use more floor slabs instead of extrudes.

The simple answer is: extrudes are easier. Sometimes I turn them into a solid addition and the seams do not show. Sometimes they consist of Multiple Extrudes (sloped sides). Sometimes I need to align things first from side view. And, yes, sometimes they need to rotate into position, not anticipating future paste-in-place editing. Perhaps I just need to get used to floor objects.

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Bell@NNA:

Extrudes are for true 3-D objects, where they can be rotated out of the X-Y plane, and thus there is no relationship between the ground and the extrude's "local" 2-D space.

Andrew,

I have offered the same complaint as Archken in the past. The lack of congruence between a 3D extrude's current position and the coordinates of it's 2D ancestor is truly a huge missed opportunity. The 2D/3D interface does not work if this relationship cannot be maintained.

The same problem holds with solid additions and subtractions. The way the program works now creates a huge waste of time. What's the big deal with rotation in 3D space? This is what computers are good at. When you enter an edit window for an extrude, the 2D shape has to appear in some 2D coordinate space - why not the space that aligns with the current view and current location of the extrude?

What we want to do is this: when viewing an extrude normal to its extruded face, we want to be able to enter the edit window and paste in place a copied 2D object. Then we can edit the extrude's ancestor shape accurately using that pasted object.

Similarly, when editing a solid addition or subtraction, we want to be able to paste in additional or substitute objects from the main coordinate space. Since currently the edit window puts these ancestor objects in the position they occupied when the boolean operation was performed, we cannot do what we need to do.

I like the fact that solids (floor, roof, column, extrude, etc) in 9 can be added or subtracted. Kudos. In 9.0.0 they don't drag so well in side view. Perhaps it's my video card? It feels different from 8.5.2.

Using floors, columns, etc more than extrudes is still rather slow especially when plenty of side view editing is required. I wish solids could snap to each other at their edges.