Real-time Elevations

Ken

Question

I'm a long time user of Vectorworks and take advantage of every feature available (except very lengthy Vectorscripting). I use highly customized template drawings and an ever-growing library of hybrid symbols for all my projects.

In my typical architectural project, I create, inside one file, all existing drawings (the "as-built" plans, model, elevations, site plan) as required, all proposed drawings (scheme alternates, plans, models, elevations, etc.), revise and develop SEVERAL 3D models, export to Art?lantis for rendering as required, develop structural foundation and framing plans and sections, show the full Site Development Plan at a different scale (if not extremely complex), then develop everything into a FULL SET of highly detailed construction drawings with imported PICTs and BITMAPs as required. Worksheets compute areas and quantities as required. I have a lengthy procedure that exports to Autocad for consultants' backgrounds if required. Everything except large-scale detail drawings and specifications are in ONE electronic file. My projects are mostly residences (up to sixplex townhomes), but most small building projects fit this approach. New construction in VW is even easier than renovations.

Having said all that, I'm posting these wish items that I think would take VW to the next level -- automatic and REAL-TIME architectural elevations. It seems a lot of programming effort was made in creating factory add-ons like VA to help the beginner. I would never use VA. That is NOT the next level. As a loyal and seasoned VW user I'm concerned about the direction that VW is taking -- the feature-packed direction instead of creating stable, quirk-free and bug-free innovations.

For real-time architectural elevations my wish items include:

1) Finally fixing walljoins for Y and complex T intersections! Make them seamless in 3D as well as 2D -- for model views, top/plan printing and DXF export.

2) Create a way to assign DIFFERENT LINEWEIGHTS for layerlinked objects for each layerscale where they appear.

3) Create a way to assign different lineweights for SYMBOLS for each layerscale where they appear.

4) Create more snap points in extrudes, 3D polys, walls, roofs, etc., in straight and iso views.

5) Reveal more snap points in layer linked objects.

6) Create a way to layerlink a layer link -- at least two generations. Alternately, create multiple view ports that can be made into a *printable* elevations sheet.

7) Allow dimensioning of a 3D model in front, back and side views.

Can you guess what all these improvements will add up to?

Does VW9 offer these improvements? I do not have VW9, but it's doubtful from what I've seen and read. I believe these improvements would add up to quite an innovative feature. Vectorworks would gain the "killer feature" advantage over other 2D/3D CADD of REAL-TIME elevations that need not be touched again after designing in planview and for the model -- suitable for either presentation or construction drawing prints.

[This message has been edited by Archken (edited 08-19-2001).]

Hey, thanks for bringing up the subject again. I've restored my graphics for what they're worth. The moderators of this discussion had me disgusted to the point of abandoning it and never coming back. I had almost forgotten how to log in!

I'm still using VW8.5.2. And, yes, all my colleagues know it -- yet I'm surprised they are still asking me for "VW tricks and secrets." I guess they're all still using VW8, too.

The subject heading of this discussion should be "live-linked" elevations, as you described. I'm still wishing for it. It's still my everyday chore to do a lot of 2D drafting, but now I can't complain much because of the older version I use.

If a CAD product claims being "fully integrated" in 2D/3D, then live-linked elevations MUST be part of it. It must be! Or else it's just b&^%$#!!t advertising again.

Yeah, I've heard version 10 is out.

quote:

Originally posted by FRED JOHNSON:

Some time ago I downloaded a script which takes the model and generates the four building elevations on a separate layer - linked to the model. This script is nolonger available and I have no idea who wrote it. I tried to e-mail it to VectorDepot but it woiuld not go for some reason. I will try and post it there again.

You're probably referring to the ElevMOD by Dan Belfiori. This is the link to his website:

http://www.monitor.net/~dbelfm/mcadtools.htm

Archken,

Glad to see you are back! By the way, at least one of your suggestions has made its way into version 10 - the ability to elevate a curved surface without all the extraneous lines. At least, this is what is being advertised. Still using version 9.5.3 until next week or so.

Automated/live generation of sections and elevations is the future of CAD. If VW can't lead the way, the program won't survive. How about one small step in that direction?