OS X Multi-threading available?

jbern

Question

8 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by jbern:

Will [or when will] multi-threading be available? I have a dual processor G4 and would like to be able to use the efficient threading in OS X to get some speed improvement.

The last public NNA statement regarding this was that NNA had no pending plans to multi-thread VectorWorks.

The key thing to understand is that multi-threading an application isn't just flipping a switch. Every algorithm that is to take advantage of multiple processors needs to be restructured. Multi-threaded code is harder to write, harder to debug, and may require different implementations for different platforms. For users of single processor systems, the end result of this work would probably be more bugs and a slightly slower system, and most VW users have single processor systems. So for most users, this isn't what they want NNA working on.

Also, there are almost certainly plenty of opportunities for us VW programmers to optimize VW's performance even on single-processor systems. So if we're going to spend time improving performance (as opposed to feature or interface improvements), multi-threading still isn't the top of the list.

Do you have specific areas of the program where performance is a big issue for you?

------------------

Andrew Bell

andrewb@nemetschek.net

I am not an official spokesperson for NNA

Dear Andrew,

Thanks for your thoughtful input on this issue. I don't have a dual processer, but if I did I would want it for the rendering operations and for converting 3D objects to lines (same process). If NNA could write those functions for a dual processor, I think you would make those folks who have them happy.

Yes -- RENDERING, when there are a lot of 3D objects in a drawing, can always use a speed boost if multi-threading helps. Everything else, heck, even a 300Mhz G3 is plenty powerful -- the issue is nothing but *input speed* like using two or three monitors, using your favorite pointing device, your favorite keyboards, foot pedals, whatever, and all possible scripts. So yes, take care of bugs first.

The choice for upgrading (including me in a few months) seems to be something like this:

If

1) dual-processor proves much faster with OS X multi-threading, and

2) other software takes advantage of dual/multi-thread, and

3) there's a competing CAD that takes advantage of dual/multi-thread, and

4) and that competing CAD is comparatively featured

Then

I would certainly abandon VW and single processor! Who wouldn't?

The lowest probability may be #2, which makes going with dual-processor a gamble.

But I hope NNA never thinks we're totally committed to VW. We simply vote with our purchases, and I haven't yet upgraded from VW8.5.2.

I too find that generally speed is not a concern and the stability is paramount but as I progress more and more towards producing all my designs in 3D I would have to say that speed is becoming a definative issue. You produce a generally brilliant program and offer 3D as standard, it is therefore important that the ultimately rather slow rendering process is optimised wherever possible if I am to make full use of it.

Speed is definitely one of our top priorities for rendering, but it is important to not only consider particular technologies. RenderWorks 9 is twice as fast as RenderWorks 8 in many cases, without dual processor support. This speed bump is available to ALL users rather than just the 5% with dual processor machines.

Another point to consider is that multi-threading an application for multiple processors can actually cause it to run slower on a single processor because of the additional overhead of thread management.

We will continue to find ways to speed our application for users, and multi-processing is just one of many technologies that we will consider.

Best Regards,

Sean

------------------

Sean Flaherty

CTO

Nemetschek North America

flaherty@nemetschek.net