Scaling plots

P Retondo

Question

Is there anyway you can add a feature allowing the program to scale printer output to allow, for example, a 24x36 sheet to be printed on an ordinary printer? I have an HP 1220C, which handles 13x19 sheets, max. When using zoom at 50% and the largest possible sheet size (e.g., 13x19), my output consists of 4 pieces of the drawing printed on 4 sheets at 50%!! Apparently I can't print at 50% because, in their wisdom, VW programmers have chosen to automatically tile the output when a sheet smaller than the "page size" is selected within print setup. HP provides the zoom feature, but not a 24x36 sheet size option. I don't recall having this problem working on a Mac platform with a HP 4ML printer, so my particular issue seems to arise using Windows (2000) and/or my particular printer. Surely there is a way to guarantee the ability to scale output regardless of printer or platform by scaling the printfile (like, gulp!, AutoCAD does - I can do the above referenced printing task easily in AutoCAD).

3 answers to this question

The Page Setup dialog in VectorWorks 9 includes a scaling option independant of the printer driver scaling. On Windows, the option is near the bottom of the dialog. On the Mac, it's in the 'VectorWorks' panel.

Caleb,

Yep, it works, but you need to know to do the following: enter scaling in page setup, select the output page size desired. Go into Set Print Area dialog box, and click on a single sheet. Check to make sure your printable area numbers make sense.

While I have your attention, since it seems you work for NNA, have your programmers figured out a possible way to speed up the operation of 9.0? I have documented a solid subtraction that takes less than 10 seconds in 8.5, and more than 30 seconds in 9.0 - due apparently to greater accuracy (unneeded, in my case).