VectorWorks v9.mcd

Jsleutel

Question

I like everyone else have had major problems with version 9. Since you are having to fix so many bug's could you possibly add in the functionality that most windows programs provide.

OPEN THE FILE IN THE NEW VERSION AND DO NOT CHANGE THE NAME BY APPENDING A v9 OR GOD FORBID A v10. (Give us the option of saving in multiple formats when we save the file, Example: See how Microsoft does it with their programs.)

This aspect of the program has been my nemesis ever since MiniCad & I have been requesting you change this every time a new version comes out.

Are there any other users out there who think that this would be a desirable feature?

6 answers to this question

Amen, Brother!

I have a library of over 1000 drawings, most of which were created in MiniCad 6 and 7. When we bought 8.5 it was a nightmare. I still open drawings and get that annoying "a new file is being created and will be opened with a new name" message. Then if you want to actually CHANGE anything, you have to re-name the file, choose where you want to save it to, save the new file and delete the old one.

Mac users, at least, can use the VW file translator script to convert batches of files to the latest version, and also to strip the version tag from the name of the new files.

When files are converted to work with a newer version of VectorWorks, they're changed a bit, and in some cases users might not always feel that these changes are desireable. For example, the switch to floating point numbers in VectorWorks 9 is generally a huge benefit to users because it improves accuracy tremendously. But it also makes files somewhat larger, and that's not always desireable. If the conversion were to happen completely transparently, replacing the original file, then VectorWorks would be changing users' files without their explicit permission, and that's never a good thing.

I agree as well,

Lets face it, no matter what mac users may say, Windows is the industry standard and the mac will eventually end up being a memory if not just a handfull. There are numerous more user-friendly features that windows has that mac doesn't have. You guys (the programmers) should take into account all windows features and take advantage of it.

Microsoft isn't huge for nothing.

Thanks.

Shaun

This forum is to discuss the wishes and problems of VW users. The fact that you have erroneously got the impression that Microsoft have the entire market for design suggests that you may be better sticking with AutoCrap than a design orientated program like VW. Caleb made some valid points regarding file alterations. Save your abuse for MS forums

Indeed, Shaun, we'd like to take advantage of more platform-specific features and make the Mac version feel more "Mac-like" and the Windows version feel more "Windows-like." VectorWorks 9 made great strides in this respect. One of the big changes we've made in VectorWorks 9 is to factor out the user interface from the core CAD engine, and then implement the user interface separately on each platform using platform-native object frameworks -- PowerPlant on the Mac, MFC on Windows. So we are quite sensitive to the differences between platforms, and we're doing our best to give you top notch implementations on both.

The file translator script that I mentioned before is written using AppleScript, a scripting system that's part of MacOS. As far as I know, there's really no AppleScript equivalent on Windows; the closest thing is probably Visual Basic. It might be possible in a future version to add a COM interface for file translation so that a VB program could be written to do batch translation. If that's important to you, send a feature request to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net .

In any case, Jsleutel seemed to me to be most irked by the 'v9' that's added to the name of the translated file. There's a script included with the batch file translator called 'DeeVee' that strips that version indicator from the name of a file. DeeVee doesn't interact with VectorWorks at all, but instead just tells the Finder to rename the file. I think it should be fairly simple for anyone familiar with Visual Basic or even just DOS batch files to create a similar command.

Hi

I really must apologise if I have offended anyone. I didn't mean to.

Although I am a Mac fan I do find windows far easier to use than mac therefore what I meant earlier is that the "Windows" version of VW take advantage of the Windows features.

As for Mac going on a downhill-just refer to Apple's profit/losses.

Just for the record I think that VW is a brilliant program and it is 100 times better than AutoCAD.

Once again apologies.

Shaun