Free VW Plotter/Viewer

HopetonJ

Question

In areas such as mine where only extremely few users of VW exist a free Plotter/Viewer would be useful while encouraging others to become VW users.

The Plotter/Viewer would be able to view and plot but not able to modify drawings.

Even better if it were able to allow markup of the drawing for return to the original creator.

4 answers to this question

I'd like to second this request. I just finished looking at something called CADViewer which allows DWF files to viewed in any web browser. The pro version of this software allows mark ups and redlining over the web. It's a smooth, multi-platform Java implementation.

Another product that performs similar functions is the Windows only WHIP web browser plug in.

In short, viewing is good, incorporating web sharing is better.

As for plotting, one solution might be to include direct saving to PDF. If this could automatically paginate saved sheets...this is a wish list after all.

------------------

Geoff Briggs

I & I Design

iandidesign@home.com

Although hardly free, Adobe Acrobat (full version) does exactly what you ask for. PDF's can be sent around via e-mail and can be viewed and plotted at any size, and though they cannot be manipulated, they can be annotated and marked up from within Acrobat and re-sent.

I agree with PeterT.

Adobe Acrobat is a great way to create files to be sent via. email.

It also reduces a mcd by about 75% so that emailing is easier with smaller files.

I have also noted that many of my clients who are internet able, have Adobe Reader (or soon tell them to download it) so they can view my drawings.

One other bonus is because the Adobe pdf files are smaller they take less time to print.

I now save all my files for printing as pdf files then print.

While I agree that the pdf format is superior than dwf, the fact is dwf (like dwg) is what a client specifies on some projects, so like it or not it must be supported. That being the case, it would be great if VW allowed import/export of dwf files. For us Mac users, dwf format is a major pain as few good (if any, really) exist.

In searching the posts, this has been asked for for a long time now, hopefully it gets incorporated.