Spotlight and rendering

GAS_light

I am farely new to spotlight although I have been a Vectorworks/MiniCAD user since V6. I do both lighting and scenic design. I want to be able to show beams and gobos in my scenic renderings. I have been using Artlantis as my rendering engine but am finding the process becoming too time consuming, problematic and limiting with all of the upgrades of software. As I have been reading manual support, am I to understand that Renderworks is the only software that can produce visualizations of the projected Spotlight gobos? I have heard that Renderworks is getting better at rendering but not quite there yet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might better produce photorealistic renderings that reflect not only the scenic but light beam and gobo qualities in my designs? I started using Vectorworks to avoid having to use several types of software to kick out a design, so if possible I am interested in useful and compatable solutions.

RenderWorks is defiantly becoming much more powerful, but your right. Since it does not have the ability to produce atmospheric effects or particle effects it is very difficult to get the effect of a light beam in a dark room.

It can be done with a bit of effort however. If you like I can send you a version 9 file that does this as an example. The only problem is that the beam itself casts a faint shadow if you have other lights with different orientations.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Supportmattg@nemetschek.net

quote:

Originally posted by GAS_light:
I am farely new to spotlight although I have been a Vectorworks/MiniCAD user since V6. I do both lighting and scenic design. I want to be able to show beams and gobos in my scenic renderings. I have been using Artlantis as my rendering engine but am finding the process becoming too time consuming, problematic and limiting with all of the upgrades of software. As I have been reading manual support, am I to understand that Renderworks is the only software that can produce visualizations of the projected Spotlight gobos? I have heard that Renderworks is getting better at rendering but not quite there yet. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might better produce photorealistic renderings that reflect not only the scenic but light beam and gobo qualities in my designs? I started using Vectorworks to avoid having to use several types of software to kick out a design, so if possible I am interested in useful and compatable solutions.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey,

with the 3d power pack you can create

a light beam volume, then create a transparent bright mirror texture and place

a spotlight with same direction, i tried it,

looks ok, the problem is that it is not easy to creat a glowing/illuminating texture,

use the "loft tool" to create out of a duplicated

light instrument (ungroup/ungroup) >nurbs

to 3d locus point the volume of a light beam

>>glowing/self illuminating textures should be a wish list item ... i will put it on next year

anyone has some tips to create such textures ??? [Wink]