Printing

Greg G

Question

5 answers to this question

If you're suggesting a "set print area" feature like in MS Excel, then it might be an idea. On the Mac, however (assuming you're refering to PC), printer drivers usually have a custom page option that, when used with its scaling option, does this okay. The only problem is when there are links ? they get shifted if Move Page is used. frown.gif

THAT is the friggin bug.

------------------

Kenneth

I want to be able to do the autocad thing.

1. Draw a fence around a part of a drawing

2. give it a scale at which it will print

3. get what I asked for out of the printer in no more that two steps.

Julian Car's VW add-on does something like it

but not as well as Autocad.

In general I agree that this idea would be nice if it works well.

I'm curious what would happen if the selected area of drawing and the chosen scale for printing does NOT fit the printed sheet? Wouldn't you be going back and forth in many trial-and-error steps more than twice?

There are also many different sheet margin requirements for various printers.

On the Mac, when a custom page size is specified (or just choosing Letter size) and a printing scale chosen, the printable area is shown on screen in VW. Whatever you see within this boundary can be printed. It's the power and genius of WYSIWYG simplicity, and, I think, one of the cornerstone features of VW -- as opposed to model space in Autocad. Same whether PC or Mac version?

So it seems to be just a different "entrance" to the same problem?

------------------

Kenneth

The way to do it would be like the old Architrion method. If I recall correctly you enter a dialog, choose a scale and orientation and the cursor changes into a box which represents your current sheet-- you move it around over the drawing until you over what you want to print and then you click it down. That "sheet" then prints.

To do it in VW would be slightly different but it could be done-- ie through a separate print dialog.

This is going to be especially interesting as with OSX we will all be able to create PDF files quickly and easily from VW... It would be great to be able to pump out a bunch of 8.5 x 11 details in PDF format for email review by others without having to muck about with page setup and moving the sheets. I am not a fan of moving sheets because it messes up registration between versions and different files.

Autocad takes care of it with paperspace viewport layouts (I hope someone at VW dev team had a good look at it).

The concept seems too strange to some who didn't use Autocad or someting like it. Bottom line, getting a part of a drawing printed in various scales on various sizes of paper ought to be simple and not a mock about process.