Window offset by style not working in one file

Tom W.

Question

I have a file where the ‘Offset’ parameter for a styled Window is set to By Style in the ‘Plug-in Object Style Options’, but editing the value of that parameter is not carrying through to instances of that Window style in the drawing.

So for example here is the offset set to -183 in the PIO Object style settings for a Window but in the OIP it is showing -131:

Screenshot2023-06-09at07_44_42.thumb.png.887d8b2e205b329f26305ae1c2f76ee8.png

To change the offset for multiple instances of the same style I am having to do it window by window in the OIP.

In a new blank test file it works fine so I guess something has become corrupted in this particular file, but I'm wondering whether it's something you've seen before @Matt Panzer + whether you have any nifty tricks up your sleeve for resetting things?

Thanks

BTW I have shut down VW, restarted the computer, run Repair - still the same

Edited by Tom W.

15 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 6/9/2023 at 12:55 AM, Tom W. said:

I have a file where the ‘Offset’ parameter for a styled Window is set to By Style in the ‘Plug-in Object Style Options’, but editing the value of that parameter is not carrying through to instances of that Window style in the drawing.

So for example here is the offset set to -183 in the PIO Object style settings for a Window but in the OIP it is showing -131:

Screenshot2023-06-09at07_44_42.thumb.png.887d8b2e205b329f26305ae1c2f76ee8.png

To change the offset for multiple instances of the same style I am having to do it window by window in the OIP.

In a new blank test file it works fine so I guess something has become corrupted in this particular file, but I'm wondering whether it's something you've seen before @Matt Panzer + whether you have any nifty tricks up your sleeve for resetting things?

Thanks

BTW I have shut down VW, restarted the computer, run Repair - still the same

Can you attach or send me a small version of the file?

1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

Can you attach or send me a small version of the file?

Thanks Matt well I copied the file + stripped it down to just a couple of Walls + now it's working as expected... The original file is pretty huge (2.6GB) so might that be causing things to stop working? I've started the process again, stripping it down layer by layer, trying to determine the point at which the style offsets start working...

Ok I have found that if I edit the Window style + click OK, this updates the objects + the offset finally takes effect. Normally, you would edit the offset in the ‘Plug-in Object Style Options’ + assuming that the parameter set to be By Style, the change would immediately take effect in all instances of that style. For some reason in my file I have to open the 'Window Style' dialog + click OK for the change to take effect in the drawing.

On 6/10/2023 at 3:42 PM, Tom W. said:

Ok I have found that if I edit the Window style + click OK, this updates the objects + the offset finally takes effect. Normally, you would edit the offset in the ‘Plug-in Object Style Options’ + assuming that the parameter set to be By Style, the change would immediately take effect in all instances of that style. For some reason in my file I have to open the 'Window Style' dialog + click OK for the change to take effect in the drawing.

I'm finally catching up on some things after getting back from the AIA show and other things...

I have not been able to reproduce this in a new file.

Here's what I tried:

1. Create a new blank file.
  2. Place a Styled wall with components.
  3. Placed a few Styled Windows with all PIO Style Options set to By Style.
  4. Edited the PIO Style Options and changed the Offset.
    Result: All inserted Windows of the style shifted as expected.

Did I miss a step?

7 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Did I miss a step?

No you didn't. It works for me in a new file too: in fact in all my files bar one as far as I've noticed. The file is quite large + was created originally in VW2021 which might not help. At any rate, at least pretending to edit the style seems to force the PIO changes to take place so isn't completely dysfunctional. Thanks for looking at it anyway!

12 hours ago, Tom W. said:

No you didn't. It works for me in a new file too: in fact in all my files bar one as far as I've noticed. The file is quite large + was created originally in VW2021 which might not help. At any rate, at least pretending to edit the style seems to force the PIO changes to take place so isn't completely dysfunctional. Thanks for looking at it anyway!

OK.  This is strange.  Is it possible for you to send me the file?  I'd like to see if there's something else triggering the problem other than sheer file size.

Thanks Matt yes be happy for you to look at the file. Do you need to DM me a DropBox link or something?

Whilst I've got you would you be able to check something else for me?

- Open a new file + create an Extrude.

- Apply a Tile Fill to that Extrude in the Attributes Palette.

- Convert the Extrude to a Generic Solid: object fill changes to 'None' + any attempt to assign a Tile to the object fails (other fills are fine). The only way to assign a Tile to the Generic Solid is by class.

The same applies if you perform a solid operation on the Extrude (it loses the Tile Fill).

Is this happening to you too or am I going mad? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

Thanks Matt yes be happy for you to look at the file. Do you need to DM me a DropBox link or something?

I'll DM you about this.

1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

Whilst I've got you would you be able to check something else for me?

- Open a new file + create an Extrude.

- Apply a Tile Fill to that Extrude in the Attributes Palette.

- Convert the Extrude to a Generic Solid: object fill changes to 'None' + any attempt to assign a Tile to the object fails (other fills are fine). The only way to assign a Tile to the Generic Solid is by class.

The same applies if you perform a solid operation on the Extrude (it loses the Tile Fill).

Is this happening to you too or am I going mad? Thanks!

You're not going mad as far as I can tell. 😉 

I see this issue in VW 2023 SP5 as well and it's also in VW 2022.  Do you recall tile fills ever working on those object types?

4 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Do you recall tile fills ever working on those object types?

I can't say that I have. It's not something I need to do very often. It has definitely happened before - probably in VW2022 - but I think I thought at the time it was a problem with Materials. It's only today that I narrowed it down. Thanks for looking into it.

4 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I can't say that I have. It's not something I need to do very often. It has definitely happened before - probably in VW2022 - but I think I thought at the time it was a problem with Materials. It's only today that I narrowed it down. Thanks for looking into it.

OK.  I see the same issue all the way back to VW 2020 and it was likely in earlier versions as well.

There may be a technical reason for this but there's a chance this will work better in the near future.

3 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

OK.  I see the same issue all the way back to VW 2020 and it was likely in earlier versions as well.

There may be a technical reason for this but there's a chance this will work better in the near future.

Ok great thanks. I was able to set the Tile by class so all was not lost. And main thing is I wasn't going mad 🙂

3 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

And main thing is I wasn't going mad 🙂

Yes.  I'm always looking for confirmation from others on that.  So far, the data from feedback has not given me the green light to use it as an excuse.  😉

Hi @Tom W.,

I finally got some time to look at your file and boiled the issue down to what appears to be related to the distance the objects are from the internal origin.  The objects don't seem THAT far from the origin but the problem is compounded by displaying the walls containing the windows in a sheet layer viewport.

Here are my observations:

1. Turning off layer in the the viewport on sheet A10-03 corrects the problem.
  2. OR, Moving the walls containing the windows closer to the internal origin corrects the problem.
  3. The problem only happens when the insertion location "Offset" is By Style.  Making it by instance and changing it for an instance works as expected.

Bug (VB-197198) reported.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Hi @Tom W.,

I finally got some time to look at your file and boiled the issue down to what appears to be related to the distance the objects are from the internal origin.  The objects don't seem THAT far from the origin but the problem is compounded by displaying the walls containing the windows in a sheet layer viewport.

Here are my observations:

1. Turning off layer in the the viewport on sheet A10-03 corrects the problem.
  2. OR, Moving the walls containing the windows closer to the internal origin corrects the problem.
  3. The problem only happens when the insertion location "Offset" is By Style.  Making it by instance and changing it for an instance works as expected.

Bug (VB-197198) reported.

Many thanks Matt.

Unfortunately in my full version of the file neither 1. nor 2. have any effect on the problem. I still need to 'pretend' to edit the window style in order for the style-based offset change to take effect.

I don't really understand how that particular SLVP affects things as the same layer is present in a number of other SLVPs: or is it to do with the scale of the VP + the large geographical area it covers?

Anyway I have recentred the drawing on the Internal Origin as there was no particular reason for the geometry to be where it was other than that's how my template file is set up. Everything was within the 5km optimum working area or whatever you pros call it but nevertheless it feels better to now have it slap bang in the centre of the drawing! I have had some other weird things going on so we'll see whether they still happen.

Thanks for looking at it + reporting the bug.

1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

Many thanks Matt.

Unfortunately in my full version of the file neither 1. nor 2. have any effect on the problem. I still need to 'pretend' to edit the window style in order for the style-based offset change to take effect.

I don't really understand how that particular SLVP affects things as the same layer is present in a number of other SLVPs: or is it to do with the scale of the VP + the large geographical area it covers?

Anyway I have recentred the drawing on the Internal Origin as there was no particular reason for the geometry to be where it was other than that's how my template file is set up. Everything was within the 5km optimum working area or whatever you pros call it but nevertheless it feels better to now have it slap bang in the centre of the drawing! I have had some other weird things going on so we'll see whether they still happen.

Thanks for looking at it + reporting the bug.

You're very welcome and thank you for getting me that file.

Ah.  I think to fix it via the sheet layer visibilities solution I mentioned, you'll probably have to turn the layer off for ALL sheet layer viewports.  Obviously not a good solution.  I stripped you file down to only one sheet layer, so that's why it worked for me.  In any case, I submitted a very small version of your file that demonstrates the issue.  There very well may be something else causing the issue other than my "far from origin" theory.  We'll see where this goes...

• Like 1