naked lightbulb symbol that works in vectorworks and etc eos fixture libary

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It's not quite a naked lightbulb, but I think this idea below will work for you.

In VW, you can make a 1 inch sphere and turn that into a symbol. You can then use this symbol with a Lighting Device. In the OIP, click the Fixture Mode and select Other. In that list is a Generic 1in Sphere. Once this is brought over to Vision, it will be emissive only (meaning it doesn't emit light, but has a glow effect). It will be RGB controllable.

That's probably as close as you can get to a lightbulb like this between VW and Vision without trying to make your own custom content (probably using the GDTF Fixture Builder).

Of course! I realized that 1 inch is pretty small for a light bulb. I'm pretty sure there's a variety of generic sphere sizes you could use in the Fixture Mode dialog. Obviously, you can make a symbol in VW to match whatever size you need. I'm sure you'll find something that will work well.

Also, just a tidbit, Vision does not support point lights as it was primarily designed for spotlights. So, you might have to get clever with a light bulb if you need it to emit light; perhaps, where it actually is made out of several lamps with a really wide spread pointing in a variety of directions.

If you want a more accurate fixture than a 1" sphere, you can build a symbol with an envelope from @mjm's suggestion but leave it as a symbol.  On the Vision side, you can select the object and traverse the Scene Graph until you get to the geometry of the light bulb envelope, then enable the Force Emissive Mesh option and set the Emissive properties in the object's Properties window, which will let you assign a universe and address and will be treated as a 3 address RGB fixture on the Eos side (using the Generic - LED RGB 8bit profile).  I've done this a lot with scenic LED light boxes / moon boxes and it works pretty well.  But as @bbudzon says, they won't cast actual light, so don't think that you will be able to light a scene with just the bulbs and have it look realistic.

image.png.58ca05af50ffac4dc62fcd86c001bda5.png

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Jesse Cogswell said:

If you want a more accurate fixture than a 1" sphere, you can build a symbol with an envelope from @mjm's suggestion but leave it as a symbol.  On the Vision side, you can select the object and traverse the Scene Graph until you get to the geometry of the light bulb envelope, then enable the Force Emissive Mesh option and set the Emissive properties in the object's Properties window, which will let you assign a universe and address and will be treated as a 3 address RGB fixture on the Eos side (using the Generic - LED RGB 8bit profile).  I've done this a lot with scenic LED light boxes / moon boxes and it works pretty well.  But as @bbudzon says, they won't cast actual light, so don't think that you will be able to light a scene with just the bulbs and have it look realistic.

image.png.58ca05af50ffac4dc62fcd86c001bda5.png

What an absolutely tremendous recommendation! This functionality totally escaped my mind and it is a great way to get a more detailed mesh if desired.

• Like 1

The Glow texture (Filament) will only show using Spotlight Preview or Realistic render mode. The output is also more accurate in these render styles.

To dim, Right click on bulb and select edit light and then adjust dimmer.

• Like 1