Drawing Curve and identifying the curve wall deg

I have 2 questions,

1. How or the best way to draw a figure 6, the line in blue.

Screenshot2023-06-07at2_24_59PM.png.5a13412d130a73b965ac08e2488bfc1b.png

2. How to measure the deg of a convex led wall?

Screenshot2023-06-07at2_26_25PM.thumb.png.740e480d7942b1dab90859e8855de76e.png

Just maybe one more question, what is the fastest way to duplicate array led wall along the figure 6 path?

Thanks alot

Oops - no responses since Tuesday!

Here's a clunky way to do these things.

1. The 6:

My easiest, most controllable path is via the Polyline Tool>Tangent Arc mode. This is, I guess, more of a Volute than a spiral, but looks OK. Also possible with the Bezier and Spline modes, but more points to edit if not satisfied. The Spiral tool can also be a base object, but inner point shows uneven curve, and the flyaway "riser" breaks the regularly expanding spiral. So edit with split tool, rotate, add arcs, etc.  big hassle.

This curve can be transformed to a wall, via the Create Objects from Shapes>Walls.  This creates a series of tangent curved walls. Can have components, openings, etc. If only 2d needed, use offset tool.

2. The angle/degree:

I think you want the angle between LED units?  This will vary at each pair because continuously varying curvature.  But, to determine the angle between pairs, use the Angle Dimension tool>Reference Lines mode (3rd mode).  See attached.

3.  I think there might be a script floating around here for distributing things at constant  length chords along a curved path.  Anyone?   The distribute tools use the arc length between stations.  Eg Duplicate Along Path and Surface Array will leave spaces or overlaps at the joins, or stretch/compress the array items.  I think doing it by hand with the Smart Cursor will be quickest in this situation.  Create snap points by tabbing into the Length field and adding the chord value (width of array item).  See attached.

Good luck!

-B

• 2 weeks later...

@Benson Shaw 

I managed to create a 6 based on your point 1, i will also need more patience in fine tuning the 6 but looks good for now.

I managed to use point 2 as well, is just that i need to find a way to revised the figure, so if the figure shows 177.7deg using angle dimension tool in actual fact the led wall angle bracket should be at 2.3deg ( hence this is to reflect on the sheet so we know what angle should the curve bracket to be set at.)

Thanks alot for your help and the short video guide is very helpful.

@clngWelcome!

I went back to my drawing and looked closely at my "LED" units on the curve.  Some of my snaps missed. So recommend care when snapping that second,  rotation point.  The reason I looked is that the angles should have been same for units on same leg of the curve in my video.  I redid it, and found that if the snaps are correct, then the angles are same along each leg. . . except . . . Angels are not same, as expected, for units next to and/or spanning a tangent point between legs.

I didn't try it, but I think a data tag at each point could use math to derive and display as text, the bracket angle from the segment angle.

The angles can be called at any precision, but the vagaries of constructing a curve wall may make hash of that precision.  Perhaps callouts could be presented as a generalized statement of acceptable range with guidance on required look of the completed array?  Anyway, if inclined, post a render or a photo of the installed design.  Many here would love to see it!

-B

• Like 1