Cable ID (Label) Scalability

Hi All,

I am currently using the cCAD2 cable label schema that is defaulted in ConnectCAD. However, it has one big scalability issue, in that for that schema the unique number generator appears to be limited to 3 numbers, meaning at most you could have 999 cable IDs per signal type. This is a problem for me as it does not scale for larger systems.

For things like device names, I include the room number and a sequential number to help mitigate any scalability problems. i.e Server 109.1 where "Server" is the device type, 109 is the room number, and 1 is a sequential number of "Server" per room 109. For cable IDs however, I haven't come up with a good solution to allow for scalability. Ideally each ID is unique and short. I don't really need it to have socket information or device information on the cable label.

All of this to ask, is there a way to increase the unique number generator size beyond 3 digits or does anybody else have a preferred schema that helps combat the scalability issues of a sequential number? Maybe a sequential number that is unique to each room of the source device? i.e N109.587 where N is the signal, 109 is the room, and 587 is a unique number within that room. This starts to break down with IO sockets on each end.

Any ideas?

@Conrad Preen

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Hi @Conrad Preen,

Following up on this. I just tested this, and it does work as you described on an actual circuit. The rub is that once you edit the schema via text, the visual editor then shows anything after the three g's as the suffix which is unexpected behavior. So, this does solve my problem. Much appreciated. It also highlights some room for the visual editor dialog box to be polished, very minor, however.

Thanks,

Alex

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@alexmootv Thanks for pushing the envelope !!! The visual editor is there to make live easier for the majority. The edit as text is there to support power users like yourself because in fact the numbering system is a little progremming language embedded in ConnectCAD. A bit like grep if you are familiar with that.

C

• Like 1