Device Port worksheet

I need some help generating a worksheet. My drawing has a lot of network switches. I have attached a data record with the VLANs to each port. I need to get this on a worksheet and I don't know how for the life of me how to get this on a worksheet.

How would I generate a worksheet with the device name, Socket name and VLAN ID that I have added to a record?

Thanks for the help. 

You are looking for a Worksheet Database Row.

Open a new worksheet.

Right click on the Row header for Row 3 (I always start at 3 so if I need to put header information there is room above) and choose Database.

In the dialog box that opens set the first column to Record, the second column to the name of your record, and the third column to Is Present.

image.png.8374cae7b007b596066a1f9f2d58ab16.png

This should give you a database row with as many subrows as you have objects that have your record attached.

In cell A3 type in a formula of =N

Assuming that the Device Name, Socket Name and VLAN ID are all coming from your record, in B3, C3, D3 enter:

='YourRecordNameHere'.'YourDeviceNameFieldHere'

='YourRecordNameHere'.'YourSocketNameFieldHere'

='YourRecordNameHere'.'YourVLANIDFieldHere'

If they are not part of your record format, then you will need to find the right record.field combination to give you the information you need.  You may be able to find this in the criteria builder, or search the forum for "worksheet of PIO Fields" and there is script I wrote a long time ago that will make a list (in a worksheet) of all the available fields of the parameter record of a PIO.

HTH.

• Like 1

Hey @Pat Stanford

When I make the database as shown, I get the devices with the record attached, but I do not get the Sockets with the record attached. As this is a Socket specific record, I need to dig deeper and get the record for the socket. For some reason, I can't get any information for the sockets, not even the names. If I make the Database as shown and add Records -  Socket - Is present, I get no lines in the database. But I know that I have a lot of devices with Sockets. I must not know how to get the database to look inside the devices for the records. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Jeff.Sullivan,

Sockets reside in devices so when you create worksheet for them you must select to search in Plug-in objects to be able to find them. Once you have the sockets display in the report, check the Specialized for Sockets function which should allow you to take data from the device too.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1

I am somehow closer to what I need to do. Thank you @Pat Stanford and @Nikolay Zhelyazkov,

Had to get if done manually because of time but would like to revisit this. Checking just the box for Plug-in object worked, I had been checking all the boxes and hoping that it would work (it did not). 

The current problem is that need the device name the socket is on and other device information. When I use the function for socket, I get a bunch of n/a. I am sure I am still learning and doing something wrong. 

(I want to make this doc part of my standards for network switches. At this point in life with networking VLANS and IPs are more important to ports and less to a device. I have a lot of dual legged gear.)

image.thumb.png.fe047dfaae63f9082ecee08afba65985.png

Edited by Jeff.Sullivan