Rethink the 2d reshape tool

RickBern

Question

I have often found the concept of the 2d reshape tool difficult to explain to new users because there are just too many functions buried in one tool.

Therefore, I propose that a new tool be added as a flyout under the selection tool that would allow for the subselection of points (a hollow pointer tool as is used in freehand, photoshop etc.).

I believe this would make the concept of subselection of points and multiple reshape clearer to users and streamline the present functionality of the spline functions of the existing reshape tool.

The ability to add and subtract points could be mode bar choices of the new subselection tool

Whadd'ya think

Rick Bernstein

6 answers to this question

I agree that it takes awhile to learn all the ins and outs of using the 2D reshape tool, but it is one of the most powerful tools available. I use it all the time. I've started preferentially drawing polygons even when a rectangle would do, just so I'll have the option of using this tool when making revisions. So I'd be OK with reorganizing the way it's displayed on the palette as long as none of the current functionality is lost.

Barb N

RLK Hydro, Inc.

quote:

Originally posted by RLKHydro:

I use it all the time. I've started preferentially drawing polygons even when a rectangle would do, just so I'll have the option of using this tool when making revisions.

A couple of tips which may help in this respect:

1. You can always convert a rectangle to a polygon using the 'Convert to Polygons' command.

2. The rectangles drawn by the rotated rectangle tool are in fact polygons.

Oh, yes. This is a wonderful suggestion. Since built in rendering will be introducing various people to cad, this may be a wise move.

I actually wish I could use all of Illustrators features so I wouldn't have to reorder my thinking when it comes to the tools.

Regards,

Ed