Extrude Along Path - a way to pre set Path and Profile vs edit after creation ?

Question

Is there a way to pre set Path and Profile locations for an Extrude Along Path vs the requirement of edit to correct after creation ?

I do not use  Extrude Along Path  very often. Recently attempted to make a "Picture Frame"

Started with the Path: a Rectangle, 4ft square as the final "Picture Frame" will be 4ft square.

The Profile: a Polyline  was the outline / cross section of the perimeter frame.

Both as Screen Plane in Top/Plan.

First attempt was off - it was bigger than the 4ft square Path.

...edited the Extrude Along Path - Profile - so it was in the "correct position".

The Extrude Along Path procedure moved the Profile so it was centered at Zero-Zero

Second attempt, I placed the Path and Profile aligned & orientated "correctly"  based on the edited first try.

... this 2nd attempted Extrude Along Path result was also incorrect, - bigger than 4ft square

Question: Does one assume that the Profile is always moved so it is centered at Zero-Zero ?

Also...  Some testing: set the working plane to Front ("Picture Frame" hangs on a wall ...) and set the objects to Working plane.

It this case, the resulting Extrude Along Path was bigger than the 4ft square Path, and the Profile was again centered at  Zero-Zero plus, it was Rotated (?)

Not sure what the logic is ...

As always, any applicable answers and appropriate advice are aptly appreciated.

Peter

VW 2023 SP5 - Mac M1 - OS 12.6

Side Note: Originally opened a different drawing to "retrieve" a Polyline from an existing Extrude Along Path object.

Extrude Along Path:  Edit / Profile / Copy ... then an Error Message (?) "Invalid" ... 

Extrude Along Path v2023.vwx Existing Extrude Along Path Error.pdf

• Like 1

Many thanks to markdd ...

This reminds me of that MOBIUS Strip challenge - 

Modeling challenge: Möbius strip - model this as a seamless solid with no visible joins!

Where the solution was knowing that 360° failed, but 359.999° worked 

The questions is ... ¿ But why ?

Also Thanks to Tom W. 

Tried, but struggled with NURBs  - The trick from Markdd was the key for me.  NURBS as the Path to worked, if it was open and one put the Profile at the "correct" end of the Path  (or reversed the direction of the Path). Even then , it would fail then try again - it worked. (?)

The inexplicable aggravating anomalies of VectorWorks

Peter

NOT 360 degrees.pdf