Using Worksheets to report on Hardscapes

Hi All,

I am trying for the first time to create a spreadsheet that summarises surface areas of my paved areas within the project. I used Hardscapes to create them, but I also have Hardscapes that are not used as per the name on the tin and so I would like to exclude them from the worksheet but I can't find the way to filter them out. Is there anything I an do using formulae perhaps?

Or if the "Non-Hardscape" objects are on a different layer you could use Layers to isolate the ones you want.

Or if you have the objects Named in such a way that you can identify which ones (easiest if one of the two types starts with a prefix(s)) you want or don't want to display you could use that.

Or attach a Custom Record Format to either the ones you want or don't want and use that.

Class or Layer are easiest.

Custom Record Format means you have to attach the record, but you can use the standard Criteria Builder.

Hardscape Name (Actual field name is 'Hardscape'.'ID') will probably require manual editing of the criteria formula instead of using the Criteria Builder, but it is not hard. But this means you only have to edit it in one place instead of attaching a record to every object that your want or don't want.

Tell us which way you want to go and if you need additional help.

Hi @Pat Stanford and thank you for summarising some of the options. When I couldn't figure out other way through the Worksheet I started thinking about the classes as well - although I considered it suboptimal.

Eventually, I decided to add a custom Record reflecting the specification of the surfaces/ materials and to facilitate the quantities takeoff. I think I will explore the data attached to Materials and if creation a palette of fully specified materials/ hardscape products this way would bring any efficiency. I would love to hear from other users who might have already explored this route and if it's worth taking.

If you're concerned about what things ARE as opposed to just what they look like then Materials are the way to go. I think they are a massively important addition to the component (Wall/Slab/Roof/Hardscape/Landscape Area) workflow. For me, Materials come first then all else follows.

• Like 1