"Home Screen" larger than minimum system requirement of "Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080 or higher"

pschlie

Question

The "Home Screen" is substantially larger than minimum system requirement of "Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080 or higher", and it can't be resized smaller (so even on my 2560 × 1664 display, I can't see the bottom of the window and have to drag one side of it off screen to just see the other), which should be considered unacceptable); please correct to enable the window to be resized to the stated minimum display resolution or at least something smaller than its current much too large current minimum window size. Thank you.

5 answers to this question

What hardware and operating system are you seeing this on?

I just set my external display to 2048 x 1152, and sized the Home Screen to minimum and it only took up about 2/3 of the vertical and horizontal space.  This on on an Intel Mac with OS 12.6.5.

For me the Home Screen resizes easily by clicking and dragging on either the side or bottom edges or the bottom right or left corners

I'm running on a MacBook Air M2, and after selecting "Help">"Home Screen", the home screen opens, and consumes the entire window, I can not resize it until after I move it, if I then attempt to resize it, it expands both wider and taller than the screen; if I click on the upper left green zoom button, then shrinks to filling the entire screen as it began; if I click the green zoom button again, it expands again both wider and taller than the screen, and still can't be resized smaller.

Do you have an external monitor you can use for a few minutes?  Something bigger than your Air screen?  If so, plug that in, Drag the Home Screen to the external monitor, resize it, then drag it back to the built-in screen.

I can force the Home Screen off the edge of the monitor as you are describing if I set the resolution of my external monitor down below that of my laptop screen.

Or check in System Preferences:Displays and see if you have the laptop screen set to Scaled with a resolution less than the full screen resolution. That might make VW think there is more screen available than there really is.  Scaled can make your text appear bigger by simulating less pixels.

System Preferences:Displays: Click the Display Settings button at the bottom.  (This is from OS12.5 Monterey.  May be different in Ventura).

@ Pat Stanford Thank you. I found the problem, it was my display resolution setting which never occurred to me would be different than "about this Mac" indicates, because I didn't recall ever changing it.

I'm running Ventura,  and went to "System Settings">"Displays" but at first didn't see any resolution options, then went to "Advanced" and then selected "Show resolutions as list", and then found and set the display to a higher resolution option which was initially hidden

(Update: Apparently I didn't need to do this, as the option to change display resolution does exist by default, but it's presented as an option to change the size of text to displayed by default, and didn't notice that by placing the cursor on top of the different text size options to choose from, the corresponding display resolution would be shown below the selection).

Edited by pschlie