Please help me understand... component editing standard views

Editing a rotated symbol.

This is top/plan with no rotation.

image.thumb.png.39654a4b11d7c3d1e4976d163479429d.png

This is Front view - note still no rotation.

note that even the axis is rotated - Why does VW do this?

image.thumb.png.23306f02bebfaddbe5eeaeb6222165eb.png

If I'm editing a component of a Symbol, I want to be able to look at it from top/plan view, front view, side view, and back view.

The only way I've figured out to accomplish this is to create a second instance of the symbol, rotate that to a workable orientation, and then edit that instance of the symbol.

Save the edits and then delete the second instance.

This is madness...

Once in edit mode of a symbol orientation should be based on the symbol not the instance.

Hey thanks @AlanW for the comment.

To clarify my question:

If you right click to edit a rotated instance of a symbol, the orientation inside the edit space is also rotated in every view... EXCEPT top/plan view.

Why?

If you edit the symbol right clicking in the Resource Manager - then the editing space is set to the symbol's original orientation - exactly how you created the symbol. 

But for some reason if you enter editing space from a rotated instance, all bets are off and things like "snap to angle" don't respect the edit space, but the symbol instances orientation.

This is odd and for the life of me I can think of no benefit for this behavior.

• Like 1

This has annoyed me for ages, because it's buggy and/or poorly designed.

To the left of the view dropdown, switch from the blue icon to the pink icon. That should make the views be in relation to the internal symbol orientation instead of the instance's orientation on the layer plane. But Top/Plan doesn't adhere to this same system, and also sometimes you have to switch in and out of a couple views before it starts working as expected.

It's all a bit of a cluster... But hopefully playing with those two buttons helps.

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This behavior is by design and allows you to edit the symbol in contact of the model view.  While this can be useful, you can quickly "fix" the issue by going to Top/Plan view in the symbol edit mode, then the views will be  to the symbol matrix.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
14 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

@Matt Panzer I do see the benefit of the ability to snap to the rest of the model - but the jump between top/plan and the other views is very odd behavior. It seems like top/plan and the other views should at least share the orientation?

This is actually the same exact behavior as when using a "Rotated Top/Plan" view on a design layer.  All 3D standard views will be according to the "Rotated Top/Plan" view until you switch to "Top/Plan", then they all go back to normal.  The main difference I see is, when you switch to a 3D standard view from a "Rotated Top/Plan" view in a design layer, there's an option in the view menu to switch back to the "Rotated Top/Plan" view.  This allows you to keep all the views in the rotated orientation.  This option does not appear when in Edit Symbol mode.  Adding that would make things more consistent.

• Like 2