VW partner plug-in or workflow for 3D printing

Unfortunately, 3-D printing with Vectorworks has remained a very small niche market. We would very much like to do a lot of 3-D printing, but the process is so cumbersome we don’t do any at all. Much as a Vectorworks has done a plug-in for twinmotion, making it a very excellent workflow, we need something in the same way for 3-D printing.

If VW could partner with one or more 3-D printing companies to make a simplified workflow, this would be a huge boost for both the supplier(s) and Vectorworks Users. 

I would bet, less than 1% of vectorworks users have access to a 3-D printer that will produce models of any practical size, let alone the time involved.

Edited by Don Seidel
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 4 months later...

Hi Don, 

I don't understand your comment.

As we all know there are often many ways to achieve similar results. Additionally, there are so many variables in 3D printing that it's hard to be specific without some context.

Can you provide some specifics of your product/process so that others with experience can weigh in and provide support?

Without anything more to go on, the process is not very nuanced,

1) Model in VW

2) Export as STL 

3) Open in the Slicer of your choice (I am a fan of Cura - which would here be comparable to Twinmotion)

4) Adjust the slicer settings based on desired output, printer type, scale, materials, etc.

5) print

The wish is to automate the process, via 3rd party optional plugin. Most VW users can’t afford a model printer that produces an architectural model of useable size. The small percent of firms who have gear in-house must train and dedicate staff for that. It’s in no way equal to using a paper plotter.

- much as photo apps on Mac (and I’m sure windows) allow a 3rd party plugin to speed the process of a photo book, it would be a win-win for VW to partner w a few physical model services to have direct ordering. Export-model check-then order… all in the same screen. At least 2 competitors to keep prices down and the process easy. I would think model-printing services would be all over this.

- it’s difficult to find reliable services which offer a reasonable price for a single model. If there’s presently a list from VW, I’m not aware of it. 

Edited by Don Seidel
  • Like 1

Ah, you don't actually want to do the 3D printing, you want to send it to a service for 3D printing. And you want a direct plugin in VW to the service provider.

OK, I understand your request better. And, I agree, I wonder if a MOD can move this to the Wishlist forum. 

Until we get a direct link. 

I have worked with the following:

Stratasys https://www.stratasys.com/en/stratasysdirect/ - super robust, run by one of the major 3D pring machine makers.

I really liked these folks in the past because you would get an account rep who would walk you through all of the options for material, technology, and functionality. they we never the cheapest but I always knew my prints would be successful. 

Shapeways https://www.shapeways.com/ - something for everybody, more user-friendly, geared towards individual creators than engineering firms. (IMHO)

There is also:

https://www.xometry.com/
https://www.sculpteo.com/en/

https://www.fictiv.com/

and more.

On 5/15/2023 at 3:11 PM, Don Seidel said:

Unfortunately, 3-D printing with Vectorworks has remained a very small niche market. We would very much like to do a lot of 3-D printing, but the process is so cumbersome we don’t do any at all. Much as a Vectorworks has done a plug-in for twinmotion, making it a very excellent workflow, we need something in the same way for 3-D printing.

If VW could partner with one or more 3-D printing companies to make a simplified workflow, this would be a huge boost for both the supplier(s) and Vectorworks Users. 

I would bet, less than 1% of vectorworks users have access to a 3-D printer that will produce models of any practical size, let alone the time involved.

I'm into my third printer now. First was purchased in the spring of 2011, and it was pretty useless. Nowadays, even cheap China machines are pretty good and they cost like an office printer. It's not difficult either generating models from VW, though you need a fundamental understanding how to think when preparing models. Some skills in solid modeling helps too. 

On 10/3/2023 at 2:35 AM, Claes Lundstrom said:

Nowadays, even cheap China machines are pretty good and they cost like an office printer

What's the max XYZ dimensions for a single piece? I researched this a year ago, and in-house printers that would create a USEABLE size (let's  say 8" cube) were quite expensive.

I have no problem stacking sections together (having to slice a building, for example) , but at the end of the day it's time vs results. Too much time and it doesn't matter what the results are. Not interested in taking up a new hobby.

3D printing has been around long enough that there's bound to be a fast, automated method to output to a model, in-house or out of house. There's profit incentive for some company to write that code. VW would probably have to partner w/ someone to make that happen.

I have not used any 3D printers, but I have looked at them a few times over the years.

It looks like the review picks (PC Mag, Wirecutter, All3DP, MarkForge, MatterHackers) seem to have 2023 recommendations with at least an 8x8x8 build volume ranging from about $300 to $2500 with the majority under $600.

Getting close to the point of being ready to try one.

Maybe take a look at the Anycubic Kobra 2.

This is my second printer after the delta Flsun Q5 that i bought 2 years ago.

The Kobra is much more accurate and much much faster than my previous one.

It can print dimensions up to 9.8" in height and 8.7" in width and depth.

Works perfect with PrusaSlicer on my Mac.

14 hours ago, Don Seidel said:

What's the max XYZ dimensions for a single piece? I researched this a year ago, and in-house printers that would create a USEABLE size (let's  say 8" cube) were quite expensive.

I have no problem stacking sections together (having to slice a building, for example) , but at the end of the day it's time vs results. Too much time and it doesn't matter what the results are. Not interested in taking up a new hobby.

3D printing has been around long enough that there's bound to be a fast, automated method to output to a model, in-house or out of house. There's profit incentive for some company to write that code. VW would probably have to partner w/ someone to make that happen.

My now slightly old Creatility 3 Pro costed about 230 $ if I remember it correctly. Works very well (much better than expected) and bigger than 8" in all directions. There is however a new generation out now that is much faster (claiming up to ten times). The Anycubic Kobra 2 is an example and I have seen ads for it at $479, and with a volume of 420 x 420 x 500 mm.  Creatility has similar models, and it seems as the competition is strong in this segment. 

Printed by Creatility 3 Pro.jpg

• Like 3

To be sure, Architectural CAD systems have been around for a long time too. Why can't we just order a house from our 3D models? 

Well, because it's a lot more complicated than that.

A 3D printer is just a tool, like a table saw. And Just because I own one doesn't make me an expelrt at using it.

3D printing has come a long way. There are several technologies in both the consumer-grade and the commercial-grade machines.

With each technology, there are dozens of materials —each with unique qualities.

Architectural models are a pretty specific kind of fabrication skill.

So, in my mind asking why 3D printers can't make easy, affordable models is like saying, I have paintbrushes, why can't I paint like Bob Ross?

Oh, and let's add laser-cutting to the mix. CNC lasers are so fast and are great for many parts of an arch model. I've had way more success with thin plywood and acrylic for making models than with 3D printing. Oh, and a ShopBot CNC mill for terrain models in sign foam is perfect.

But, to the OP's point, are there good Architectural model-making services out there, that could take VW files directly?

They could determine the most effective production process and turn out a model faster/cheaper than hand-building it?

Bart

BTW here is a link to a guide on Printing 3D models for Arch, (it is from on of the 3D printer makes so it may be biased)
https://formlabs.com/blog/3d-printing-architectural-models/

Edited by BartHays
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, BartHays said:

So, in my mind asking why 3D printers can't make easy, affordable models is like saying, I have paintbrushes, why can't I paint like Bob Ross?

Don't accept your comparison...how many countless things are "farmed out" to other professionals? Surveyors, engineers, etc. I use large format plotters, and they're pretty much on autopilot. I don't have to reconfigure software every time I print. By "Easy" I mean customer-friendly to ORDER a model from a service, not BE THE SERVICE. Of course one would be expected to learn the process if printing in-house.

The start of this topic concerns:

- automation of out-of-house model printing. I'm happy to pay someone else to learn, configure, manage and print a 3D model. 

- but if I have to learn and do all the intermediate steps to simply hand someone the file, I may as well print in house.

- I imagine it's not that difficult for someone to write that intermediate step software to automate model production for a specific supplier. 

everyone in the pipeline gets a cut of the fee, and the architect (me) is happy to order a 3D model without much more fuss than buying ink cartridges on amazon

• Like 1

OK, I see I have misunderstood your intent, but I am honestly trying to be helpful.

I haven't seen an example of what you are looking for, so I am working a little bit blind.

In my experience, you can export an STL from VW, upload it to a service, select a scale ratio, pick a material, and order a print. 

In a simple case, there are no other intermediate steps.

Some services offer model checks to help tune the model for better success in 3D printing. 

Sometimes the checks require you to fix the model manually. So, that could be an intermediate step.

Multiple material models would be something else altogether.
Perhaps that is what you are looking for, someone to automate the separation of the model by print materials. 

But I don't know what you are trying to achieve.

So, I can't be more helpful.

Thanks. While it can be a straightforward process, one still has to invest time for the particulars of model tuning /check software. So I'm being a bit lazy maybe, hoping to pay for an established workflow to the same vendor for consistent results.

Let's say I just want a white model of "medium" detail. Do you know of some architectural model-friendly vendors? searching the internet blind and it takes alot of time to compare...many of them want the model to quote a price.

On 5/19/2023 at 1:47 AM, BartHays said:

Hi Don,

I've done a bunch of 3D printing from VW models,

Exporting STL files and bringing them into your preferred slicers works well.

Cura being the slice I have worked with the most. 

Maybe post a typical file to see how we can help.

Bart

Can you be somewhat more specific?  In some ways it would seem you would have to almost draft or model the components specifically to be sliced rather than as resources for an actual set of building plans.   And a model may have many extraneous items such as line segments or polylines just to name a couple.  For giggles I made the parts of a modeled building I'm working on visible in multiple layers, selected all and hit export. I surely got a 100MB + .stl but my slicer is yet to resolve it.  I'm sure there is a lot of extra drawing data uselessly (or worse) fattening the file.

Not including any architectural models, I have been successfully designing and 3D printing for 6 years now starting with my Prusa clone and now with my Raise 3D E2Pro. 

Screen Shot 2023-10-16 at 10.21.46 AM.png

Edited by Inspectorjack

A 3D printing company in Kingston Ontario that I help out when I can asked me if I could build a model like the inset shown in this image.  They use Blender and C4D.  It has to be printable clearly. Although this is a hollow model I will have to tweak it to print as the angle on the lower bows is too shallow.  But, it's doable.

The process to get here was significant.  It may prove too complex to print, but the underlying geometry is sound.

I also use C4D and this is a C4D rendering. 

VW_3FIRSTCUTINSET.thumb.jpg.4d4bf9b2f4706db3f72197380e3c1a99.jpg

Edited by VIRTUALENVIRONS