VW open House Virtual vs Design Summit in person

I am also for hybrid events.

I profit from all these extended online event offers since covid.

I have nothing against watching videos where is real audience involved

though at all !

But I understand that it is easier to produce non-live videos without

that live pressure and the option to redo failed parts and edit it later.

Also the costs of real events are to concern.

(I also see more and more trade fairs starving, switching to online events

and especially leaving the former fixed trade fair time frame)

I think the video quality can be as good or bad as can be a live presentation.

But e.g. Apples WWDC, many interested people can't afford to travel

and even not all people that can, could really attend.

And I am happy to have that extended online offer and be able watch it

whenever I have time and muse.

For sure a real in person event will be much more impressive and having an

important extra social dimension.

So for all able to attend such events, I hope these real events will come back.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Don,

Thank you for your feedback. Open House and Design Summit are two different events. Open House is an virtual organic open conversation that we offer. Customers can wander in and out of rooms at their convenience throughout the day. While Open House was conceptualized during Covid, we continue to host this event due to the positive feedback we get from many of our customers. I think we can all agree that nothing will replace the in-person experience of an event, but virtual events will continue to have a place in the market and won't be disappearing anytime soon. We agree with you, the beginning of this year's event did not go as smooth as we hoped, despite test runs and a successful event the night before. We are working on resolving those issues before our next event. As for Design Summit, which is our in-person event, (with the exception of 2020 and 2021) we do not have one planned for 2023, but do have some smaller in-person opportunities planned for the fall. We look forward to seeing you sometime soon in-person. In the meantime, if you have feedback that can help us shape our events in the future, feel free to complete the Open House post-event survey that was sent to you after the event. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Don Seidel said:

Have you been to a VW Design Summit in the past? If not you don’t know what you’ve missed.

I think I've been to three of four? Philly, Chicago, Baltimore, and Phoenix (or Phoenixish, I should say). I preferred the cities to the resort. That is why I really didn't consider the last one. Might it have been canceled? In any event there seems to be much more 'design' in the city than in the desert. Also, the resort in Phoenix was a half hour from anywhere, so if a small group wanted to leave the resort for a drink, at least an hour was was required for a taxi/uber/lyft.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Lunar Waneshaft said:

Acknowledging that this is heavily skewed toward entertainment,

I do not agree, plus as someone said; the cross pollination is very valuable. I know I started to read the mailing lists before I had much of a clue and I have learned a lot from people in and out of my field. I think the 'architectural' bus tours of Chicago were valuable to all.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Kevin Allen said:

I do not agree, plus as someone said; the cross pollination is very valuable. I know I started to read the mailing lists before I had much of a clue and I have learned a lot from people in and out of my field. I think the 'architectural' bus tours of Chicago were valuable to all.

Acknowledging that my suggestion was admittedly heavily skewed toward entertainment (not the Summit itself).

• Like 2