Rotating LED Screen

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 7:37 AM, markdd said:

@C. Andrew Dunning @Kevin Allen I feel an enhancement request coming on to enable the same rotational behaviour on the Events Plug-ins (Staging, Video Screens etc.) that is available on the Lighting device plug-in when rotated with the Rotate Tool. What do you reckon......?

Tilt works fine for me for any of the Landru plugins. In my mind, "rotate" means plan rotation around the Z axis (aka "azimuth" in Soundvision, MAPP 3D, etc.).

ProjectionViz has a great way of implementing roll (called "rotation" in that plugin) which which is great for PJ's but not sure if any screens or speaker boxes need to roll (typically no).

Lighting Devices, especially yoked instruments, are a different story altogether... 

For curves, I've always done the 10º scenario that @Kevin Allen mentioned.

@MullinRJ 's excellent Reshaper plugin is a huge help with laying out a guide / template for those curves / angles. However, the issue is that results in multiple screens, one for each segment, instead of a single image / aspect / resolution / weight / total wattage... For me, that's the wish: one screen to rule them all.

@C. Andrew Dunningnot sure if we've every discussed this but the concave / convex angles between LED tiles are kinda like a top/plan version of what the speaker array tool does in elevation:

1067821407_ScreenShot2023-04-28at12_45_55.png.0e46de3a459982160eaf1b74c786a2ed.png

In fact, the concave / convex thing reminds me of:

1270000368_ScreenShot2023-04-28at12_39_18.png.08e3100e37c63645626eae7fbbd11fb2.png

In this case, it would be:

• Angle Reference:
    • Front (concave)
    • Back (convex)

Looking forward to a poll of angle vs curve vs plan rotation vs azimuth vs ambifacient... @TVTechTyler, thoughts?

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Lunar Waneshaft said:

Looking forward to a poll of angle vs curve vs plan rotation vs azimuth vs ambifacient... @TVTechTyler, thoughts?

Thoughts...yeah I got lots of those. As previously mentioned during some off-forum conversations I think when it comes to curved screens @C. Andrew Dunning's symbol based Audio Array tool is a great jumping off point. For most of my projects we have to use accurate models for LED tiles along with their rigging or stacking hardware. This is why I think the functionality of the Landru Audio Array tool is good place to start; it's symbol or geometry based, can handle rigging bumpers or stacking hardware. Obviously the tool will need to be purpose built (saying this for Andy's benefit) as there is good deal of complexity involved in making this work. I would love to see a more useful and accurate LED Screen tool and happily offer my services to help get a task written up should someone, either inside VW or externally, wish to take it on.

• Like 4

When we do the curved array it is always about the angle of the facet, and laying them out becomes a very rudimentary process.  I don't use the speaker array tool but I get what people are saying, that is how the array should be built: module size and degree of facet.  

• Like 2
4 hours ago, grant_PD said:

When we do the curved array it is always about the angle of the facet, and laying them out becomes a very rudimentary process.

Here's a quick example of how I use it as a template / guide to figure out what I need before I start laying out LED tiles. I constrained the side length to 4x 600mm wide tiles, and then continued adding sides until I reached 10º between each one. Now that I think about it, I could save these guides as red symbols for future planning to cut the time in half.

1649906101_ScreenShot2023-05-01at16_02_31.thumb.png.692b57d09ad9b63e46cc6b64337ff4a9.png

Notice the rotation angle is -90 above and -80 below:

785023780_ScreenShot2023-05-01at16_06_05.thumb.png.3c5dc6ae2407692ecbd048c43859394c.png

If I was doing something like the Coachella main stage, I could check the box for Inscribed for the DS convex curve, and then mirror both from SL to SR.

Lots of other efficiencies because now there are guides to snap to for other objects onstage (not limited to using the LED tiles themselves for that).

Reshaper is a deceptively simple and powerful tool to have in your toolkit.

• Like 1

@MullinRJ is there a way to lock side length and angle relative to prev / next side? Thought there was a way to do that, so I could quickly ask the tool to show me what 4800mm side length @ 7.5º looks like, and then the tool would draw / reshape the number of sides, radius, etc.

(Apologies for using my ChatGPT tone.)

Edited by Lunar Waneshaft

Hello @Lunar Waneshaft,

Forgive me if I don't quite understand the question, so let me try to answer what I think you're asking.

If you change the angle between the sides, you are effectively changing the number of sides around the circle. So at 10° between segments you have 36 sides, changing it to 7.5° will give you 360°/7.5°, or 48 sides.

You can put 360/7.5 in the first field (# Sides) and 4800mm in the third field (Side Len), and click on the Apply button. Reshaper will calculate the number sides from the expression "360/7.5" and round the result to the nearest integer value. If you check the "Constant side length" checkbox, you can then change other fields and Reshaper will recalculate the Regular Polygon for you keeping the side length fixed – even with your units set to Ft and Inches, Reshaper will accept 4800mm and display it as 15'8.976" once you click the Apply button, but they are the same length.

Whatever the Rotation Angle is when you click Apply will be your new reference angle, so make sure the red line denoting the radius is in the position you want or type a new angle in the Rotation field to set it. Also the anchor point, denoted by the red dot, will remain fixed in your drawing and all other points will expand or contract around it. In your case you have the Top of the circle anchored, so that point will remain fixed and everything else will move when you recalculate.

If this isn't what you were looking for, please ask again, or PM me. I am open tomorrow and we can discuss over the phone if you like.

Thanks for your comments. Very much appreciated.

Raymond

• Like 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, MullinRJ said:

You can put 360/7.5 in the first field (# Sides)

Fantastic! Love that it's dead simple math that can be calc'd in the field!

So, I can quickly draw templates at 5º, 7.5º, 10º, 15º (or whatever the manufacturer / shop's curved hardware is indexed at) for any combination of (symmetrical) tile side lengths.

image.gif.d56ccc46f871f82f4e0a3538151a09a3.gif