Art Exhibition Workflow

I use Vectorworks for Exhibition Design. Typically I have used it to draw plans and elevation in 2D and only used 3D models for casework. I want to start using 3D for all of the design work but have been hesitant mainly because I don't want to do redundant labeling of the art.

I can typically work with over 100 art objects, all that require me to display some basic label information, so a streamlined process is key.  That is easy to manage in a 2D plan, but I would like to be able to show renderings of the gallery as well without making a 2D and a 3D model, which is how I have been working up until now. This is obviously an inefficient way of working. Optimally, I feel like would be great to be able to place a flat artwork image on the model wall that shows as just an image in render mode, but displays graphically with a symbol with a label in plan view. 

Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how to set this workflow up or give some very basic instruction on where to start? 

• Like 1

I approach this kind of thing with Hybrid Symbols.  A hybrid will show 3d when in any perspective or orthogonal view, but 2d when in top/plan view.  Kevin's suggestion of Records will help you add additional data to this idea.  When you select 3D and 2D at the same time and then make a symbol - it automatically creates a Hybrid.  Basic tutorial here:

• Like 2

A few of us have started a user group specifically for people who use VectorWorks for Museums (or similar Projects).

This would be a great topic for our group and we can share some examples of how others have done similar tasks. 

We are very informal with a wide variety of experience levels.

We met about one a month. If you are interested message me directly.

Bart

• Like 2