Vectorworks classes

I spend a miniute or so deleting them and assigning the objects to the None Class. Personally I find the Vectorworks Classes too restrictive and wish they would put everything in the None class and let us decide where they should go. I am sure there is a much more sophistacted way of going about this but my workflow works for me!

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, shorter said:

classes automatically generated by vectorworks

I would really prefer most Classes being created automatically.

If there would just be an easy way to customize Naming

(and their other Settings)

to our liking or office standards.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Is there anyone that desires a class called "Furniture-Main" (for example) and actively uses it?

This made me laugh out loud. I hate that class 😊 only because I move things out of it all the time. When something doesn't show in a sheet layer viewport, its usually in an autogenerated class and I've forgotten to move it....

Kevin

• Like 3

I think it depends where you are in your Vectorworks journey. As an office of newer (<9 months) users, we haven't gotten to that 'very experienced/power-user' phase where we've gotten tired of the auto-classing and wanted to override it. At the moment, I've expanded our classes on in/around/on top of the default classing structure and it seems to work OK.

Of the large group of new users in the office who don't want to get to the Power-User phase, especially those for whom CAD isn't their primary job role and just need to get a drawing done, I feel like the auto-classing has given them a level of structure they wouldn't have had if they had just started without it.

I feel like it would be better as a preference toggle - Use Auto-Classing or not, or to have some better control over what it does, so a CAD admin can nudge it in line with office standards.

35 minutes ago, spettitt said:

I feel like it would be better as a preference toggle - Use Auto-Classing or not,

Isn't that what this does?:

1374129928_Screenshot2023-04-16at12_18_58.png.ac76fa5c2460423f07ae9aaf1e361918.png

I've never had it turned on + so get very few VW-generated classes, unless I import a symbol from the libraries (which I don't often do)

• Like 1
On 4/16/2023 at 11:42 AM, spettitt said:

I think it depends where you are in your Vectorworks journey. As an office of newer (<9 months) users, we haven't gotten to that 'very experienced/power-user' phase where we've gotten tired of the auto-classing and wanted to override it. At the moment, I've expanded our classes on in/around/on top of the default classing structure and it seems to work OK.

Of the large group of new users in the office who don't want to get to the Power-User phase, especially those for whom CAD isn't their primary job role and just need to get a drawing done, I feel like the auto-classing has given them a level of structure they wouldn't have had if they had just started without it.

I feel like it would be better as a preference toggle - Use Auto-Classing or not, or to have some better control over what it does, so a CAD admin can nudge it in line with office standards.

Once you have an office standard, then you will discover the true horror of auto-classing... 😉

@spettitt interesting comment.   I would be willing to put my VW skills up against anybody else's,  and I use the auto classing feature all the time.
I do have two issue with auto classing

-More objects should be automatically assigned to classes.  I want to spend time drawing not sorting objects or remembering to change my active class.  ( Per the SNL skit I want more cowbell)

-I wish I could assign dimension styles to different classes rather than all going to the one dimension class. 

Some of those auto classes have dark magic with un expected and wide ranging effect. Eg Ceiling Main (always something unexpected it reveals or hides), and Site Dtm Mods. Ya gotta know what they can do and either embrace or ignore, but you can’t  just create a new class with that name and generate similar function. 

-B

• Like 1

Correct - I'd say any "functional" classes that are actually controlling sub-parts of Plug-In Objects (such as Ceiling-Main being used by the Door PIO) are understandable and should be kept. Another example is that the Plant tool seems to always come with a bunch of "Plants-XXX" classes which are controlling sub-parts of the plant graphics.

So for me, the spirit of this thread is more about non-functional top-level classes that aren't necessarily controlling attributes of anything. But others might have differing opinions. That's always the hardest part with software design: finding a middle ground default that pleases everyone 😅

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 3