MVR exports into external 3D pre-vis software

Im currently in my final year of uni, writing my dissertation on the accuracy of pre-vis software used in the events industry.

A lot of designers choose to draw their rig and produce plans in Vectorworks Spotlight, then MVR export into external software like Depence, WYG or Capture, or use VWX Vision.

My question is, how accurate do you find pre-vis to real life? Does pre-vis save time, or do you end up tweaking that many positions, colours, beam focus etc that actually its not too beneficial? 

If you use pre-vis in your workflow, what software do you choose and why did you decide to choose this over other software available? Are the renders you produce and the accuracy of them relevant to clients or not?

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

HI Nathan,

Not Sure where you are going with this.  Below is a Trailer to a movie.  At the end of the Trailer is a link to the full movie, but I think you will get the idea on this short Trailer. Everything except the characters was modelled in Vectorworks and then exported to CINEMA 4D.  This is an area I have used Vectorworks for, for over 25 years.

4 hours ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

HI Nathan,

Not Sure where you are going with this.  Below is a Trailer to a movie.  At the end of the Trailer is a link to the full movie, but I think you will get the idea on this short Trailer. Everything except the characters was modelled in Vectorworks and then exported to CINEMA 4D.  This is an area I have used Vectorworks for, for over 25 years.

He’s researching the accuracy of specific workflows for theatrical lighting visualization, it’s highly specialized.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

13 hours ago, Nathan1fb said:

My question is, how accurate do you find pre-vis to real life? Does pre-vis save time, or do you end up tweaking that many positions, colours, beam focus etc that actually its not too beneficial? 

In my own experience when I was still working directly on shows and events, previs was essential for show and especially moving light programming.
Frequently there just isn't enough time onsite for more than minor updating and corrections in your console programming. As long as your original venue plan and lighting plot are accurate, previs saves an enormous amount of onsite time and stress.
Saying that there will always be some tweaking and changes that have to be made on site, its very rare that a venue model will be fully accurate and there will almost always be minor differences between the CAD plan of the rig and how it is actually built by the on site crew, especially in small and medium scale touring scenarios.
It isn't a black and white paradigm, its dependent on the sort of show you are programing (touring, theater, event, etc...), the size of the lighting system, the complexity of the cue's and looks, and the available lighting fixtures.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, jeff prince said:

He’s researching the accuracy of specific workflows for theatrical lighting visualization, it’s highly specialized.

Thank you for the clarification Jeff, I appreciate that.  I am clued out sometimes on current terminology.

Stage or movie still requires extensive lighting and interior lighting needs to have "global illumination" for some level of accuracy.  Having said that, the amount of horsepower required to get realism for a stage venue like "American Idol" for example is not going to be found on your Mac or PC (M/P).  A M/P could produce a fairly accurate single frame perhaps over a few hours using maximum settings for Global illumination.  Vectorworks has a built in limit I believe. To get the full motion, on/off colour change etc, it could only give you a good reference point in an animation.  Obviously the lighting staging and cameras etc. are going to be accurate enough and I would imagine that the stage technicians can make the jump from Pre-vis to stage in their minds, based on what they are seeing on screen.

There are a lot of things that can affect lighting.  For example, if it is a large venue and very warm inside, it can affect light.  Is there is smoke in the room, etc.  How reflectinve is the room itself.  Vectorworks Global illumination would only have minimal light bounce (~4 per sec), where in the real world millions per second.

Having done similar visualization for large venues, anything that can help the client visualize is a bonus, but if the question is "how real"....still a way to go.

24 minutes ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

Thank you for the clarification Jeff, I appreciate that.  I am clued out sometimes on current terminology.

Stage or movie still requires extensive lighting and interior lighting needs to have "global illumination" for some level of accuracy.  Having said that, the amount of horsepower required to get realism for a stage venue like "American Idol" for example is not going to be found on your Mac or PC (M/P).  A M/P could produce a fairly accurate single frame perhaps over a few hours using maximum settings for Global illumination.  Vectorworks has a built in limit I believe. To get the full motion, on/off colour change etc, it could only give you a good reference point in an animation.  Obviously the lighting staging and cameras etc. are going to be accurate enough and I would imagine that the stage technicians can make the jump from Pre-vis to stage in their minds, based on what they are seeing on screen.

There are a lot of things that can affect lighting.  For example, if it is a large venue and very warm inside, it can affect light.  Is there is smoke in the room, etc.  How reflectinve is the room itself.  Vectorworks Global illumination would only have minimal light bounce (~4 per sec), where in the real world millions per second.

Having done similar visualization for large venues, anything that can help the client visualize is a bonus, but if the question is "how real"....still a way to go.

Are you a Chatbot?

17 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

No, it is a legitimate question.  I see you comments popping up all around the site and they have this uncanny quality to them, like an AI Chatbot.

Hi Jeff, my apologies for the tardy response, I had to find this video and upload.

I think if you checked on comments per day, it is an area you might win.

But, I guess you are talking about advanced modelling.  Below is the Theatre of the National Arts Centre Ottawa.  I did this in 1998 , which is why the video quality is low.  I think it is 480 x 360.  It is a complete reconstruction of the venue.   There is an associated TV news bite on it and Vectorworks did an article on it.  I can provide if you like.

We did this to test exactly what the topic is about. Although I have little or no knowledge of current Pre-vis software, I do understand the underlying technology behind it and lighting.

kind regards....Virtual

14 hours ago, jcogdell said:

In my own experience when I was still working directly on shows and events, previs was essential for show and especially moving light programming.
Frequently there just isn't enough time onsite for more than minor updating and corrections in your console programming. As long as your original venue plan and lighting plot are accurate, previs saves an enormous amount of onsite time and stress.
Saying that there will always be some tweaking and changes that have to be made on site, its very rare that a venue model will be fully accurate and there will almost always be minor differences between the CAD plan of the rig and how it is actually built by the on site crew, especially in small and medium scale touring scenarios.
It isn't a black and white paradigm, its dependent on the sort of show you are programing (touring, theater, event, etc...), the size of the lighting system, the complexity of the cue's and looks, and the available lighting fixtures.

I recently did a piece with a vertical wall of fifty Mini-B wash heads (which I am in love with): Five rows of ten fixts each.

Sent the bare minimum Cad information(fixtures correctly placed and the deck only!) to my Capture person, and a sheet of ten focus palettes because I knew there would not be time to build from scratch. My onsite Console Op was so grateful because all he had to do was:

• Understand the concept of each of those ten foci
  • tweak till tasty. 1.5 hours instead of 4 hours easy.

some of the tweaking was more about fitting the concept/theory to reality than correcting focus per se.

Very important to make sure all involved are CLEAR on say where the tails go and what pan / tilt accommodations I required (everything pans to CL in this case, for ex.)

Only thing I did wrong was not do MORE of that for that show. Coulda Shoulda had Capture Guy build  my EFX as well. 52508926457_b482b410f5_c.jpg.13f54fa7eb69eac66ac9deb85133266d.jpgNow I know. 

• Love 1

@Jesse Cogswell—thank you very much for your experiences Jesse. In 2017 I lit a world premiere for a Ballet company north of the border. They'd invested heavily (for a dance company) in Vision: the software and a massive PC, massive graphics card etc, solely dedicated to running Vision and VWX. The previz experience was terminally painful. Conventional fixtures could not be reliably shuttered. Any number of issues with the software freezing etc. All we were trying to accomplish was focus points. I don't remember the output onstage matching much of what we'd managed to previz. I subsequently stayed away from all previz for years. It's only been recently that I've occasionally moved back toward previz as a tool due to the budgetary realities of the dance world: first thing cut: time. Unfortunately things like focus take time and sending my mover focus to previz when it can be afforded is now my preferred route. No client I have can yet afford a full on previz from focus through cueing. Only upside there is the joyful tactility of making light in real time and space.