Can a data tag report components of a wall

I would like to have a data tag that would report components of a wallI 

The tag I made reports the description (I listed the components in the description) but this means i have to manually input info that is already part of the wall

There must be a way to pull the component "Name" and "Size" that is all-ready part of the wall type

image.png.5af236e4fc1fcffb81d4cf480054c202.png

how can I get this info into a data tag?

image.thumb.png.cb73d3097bf99bdd94a3f3a2ca9b679b.png

The Dynamic Text you want is:

#WS_COMPONENTNAME(2)#

This will get you the name of the Second component. Change the number for the other components.

You can either put a single piece of text to act as the placeholder and then put each of the ComponentName functions on a separate line in the Dynamic text editor, or you can put individual pieces of text and put one ComponentName function for each one.

You will have to add enough lines for the maximum number of components you have. Walls that have less components will display the extras as blank.

HTH.  Ask again if you need more info.

• Like 1

@Matt Hall another thing you can do in the same vein if you're using Materials is have the Data Tag return the 'Product Name' + (if you want) 'Product Description' + 'Manufacturer' data fields for the Material used by each component. These are the formulae:

#WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(1), 'materialproductname')#

#WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(1), 'materialproductdescription')#

#WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(1), 'materialmanufacturer')#

856772464_Screenshot2023-03-24at06_24_39.thumb.png.b8aaf8a47100921194f0f0ccf23dcf7e.png

This is great because you don't have to manually input component details across multiple Wall/Slab/Roof styles (I have a Wishlist item somewhere for being able to import/export components between styles...). You just set it up once in the Material then can use it across all your objects. However the major flaw in this is that it doesn't work on Compound Materials. I seem to remember posting a wish about this too... and here it is...

The alternative then is to return the 'Description' + 'Mark' fields from the Compound Material using #WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(1), 'materialdescription')##WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(COMPONENTMATERIAL(1), 'materialmark')#.

Just some extra options to play with. Prior to Materials the only way was to use #WS_COMPONENTNAME(1)#.

Pat

This is really really great

I can get the name of the component as I have it in the wall style

(I included the thickness in the in the component name - but it would be better if it took the thickness directly from the wall style data)

There is a component thickness text but its not doing what I expect.

any thoughts on how to have the actual thickness as part of the tag? 

image.thumb.png.4576265147aee7a221b6633a0bc35f3d.pngimage.png.79e849d3a7c8d3db97382ca60e64007c.png

Tom,

I like the ability to pull the material info from the wall

I started to use materials but backed off because I don't think you can use class overrides in viewports to control the look of the wall in plan

I have a wall I need to show both existing and new components. At 1/8" I don't want to see all the components and at larger scale

If i view the detail level at "low" to component disappear but then I cant see what is new and what is existing

image.png.e9559426a170e1e7c2c263d4df72f1af.png

image.png.94b450251cce8f8280f207a9f527b07d.png

I am pretty sure that the thicknesses are reporting in decimal feet coming from the document units of Feet/Inches. Try setting them specifically to inches in the dialog box.

Why zero? Because zero is a number and blank is not a number and the formula you are using is returning a number. 😉

The workaround is to use a more complicated IF formula to return an empty string if the line should be blank.  The following is not tested and is done from memory, so you may have to adjust.

#WS_IF(ComponentName(1)='', '', Concat(ComponentThickness(1),' - ',ComponentName(1)))#

The above says that if the component name is an empty string [two single quotes next to each other] then return an empty string, otherwise return the Component Thickness and Component name separated by a space, a dash, and another space [what is inside the single quotes.

Note that inside the #WS_ # limiters everything has to be Worksheet format. You can't randomly mix and match Worksheet and Data Tag formats on the inside. In the data tag itself you can use both formats.

4 minutes ago, Matt Hall said:

I started to use materials but backed off because I don't think you can use class overrides in viewports to control the look of the wall in plan

You can use class overrides on the container class i.e. if you turn off the components manually or by setting the Detail Level to Low to reveal the component-less wall behind.

And if you leave the components visible you can override their attributes using Data Vis.

On 3/24/2023 at 3:08 PM, Pat Stanford said:

I am pretty sure that the thicknesses are reporting in decimal feet coming from the document units of Feet/Inches. Try setting them specifically to inches in the dialog box.

Why zero? Because zero is a number and blank is not a number and the formula you are using is returning a number. 😉

The workaround is to use a more complicated IF formula to return an empty string if the line should be blank.  The following is not tested and is done from memory, so you may have to adjust.

#WS_IF(ComponentName(1)='', '', Concat(ComponentThickness(1),' - ',ComponentName(1)))#

The above says that if the component name is an empty string [two single quotes next to each other] then return an empty string, otherwise return the Component Thickness and Component name separated by a space, a dash, and another space [what is inside the single quotes.

Note that inside the #WS_ # limiters everything has to be Worksheet format. You can't randomly mix and match Worksheet and Data Tag formats on the inside. In the data tag itself you can use both formats.

Pat,

Your formula works.  Except it still reports back in decimal feet.  I understand what your saying about setting them to inches in the dialog box.  But that changes the formula and it no longer works.  I cant figure out how to modify your formula to report back in inches or inches and feet

Sorry for the delay in responding. The following formula should give you the value in the current document dimension unit settings.

#WS_IF(COMPONENTNAME(1)='', '', CONCAT(TXT(COMPONENTTHICKNESS(1), 'DIM'), ' - ', COMPONENTNAME(1)))#

There are additional parameters to the TXT function to specify specific units and accuracy if you need it.

I am very thankful

the screen shot is of a legend tool for wall types

This is very close to what I would have done if i drafted them.

(Below that is a screen shot of a drafted wall type legend)

All the information is now imbedded in my wall style.

very very cool

(I have been very happy about the impute I have gotten from people out there and wonder how they have time to figure this stuff out.  I sill wish VW could have items like this prepackaged. Seem like this would be a basic for any architecture office.)

Thanks again

image.thumb.png.ea3faa908d0dbda967376ea5174d15a2.png

image.png.1fd65f064d3f53343f416ceb1ea49b2f.png

image.png

• Like 1