Unreal Engine 5.2 Universal Binary

Mark Aceto

https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/unreal-engine-5-2-preview/796424

Apple Silicon support 

The Universal Binary of Unreal Engine that natively supports both Apple Silicon and Intel CPUs to the Unreal Editor is now available to download from the Epic Games launcher.

No idea what this means for Mac's that don't have hardware accelerated GPU's (assuming still no ray tracing) but it's a start... 

• Like 1
On 3/22/2023 at 6:43 PM, Lunar Waneshaft said:

No idea what this means for Mac's that don't have hardware accelerated GPU's (assuming still no ray tracing) but it's a start... 

"With 5.2, Unreal Editor is available as Universal Binary in the Epic Games launcher. This provides native support for past-generation Intel-based and current-generation Silicon-based systems in a single package. In addition, many quality-of-life and stability improvements have been brought to the Editor for the macOS platform.

Even with native builds, Nanite and Hardware Ray Tracing are not currently available on macOS due to hardware and API limitations."

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Now that UE 5.2 is out of preview, I uninstalled 5.1, and checked my system report. My guess is that the one remaining Intel app is an artifact because it looks like there's a new duplicate Universal version stored in a new location. Not holding my breath for Twinmotion to be ARM-native anytime soon but this is promising. Links with details below... 

Unreal Engine 5.2 Released

Inside Unreal | 5.2 Release Overview

This is a webinar that starts in 2 hours but it looks like the recording will live on YouTube and Twitch.

1266509876_ScreenShot2023-05-11at09_08_00.thumb.png.952c5da0715e55c9e1f9b347fe4eee01.png

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Lunar Waneshaft said:

My guess is that the one remaining Intel app is an artifact because it looks like there's a new duplicate Universal version stored in a new location.

Nope. It belongs there, along with the UE4EditorServices app. When I nuke them both, UE respawns them on launch, so the old rule of them still holds true: if you don't know what it is, don't delete it.

That said, another enhancement to 5.2 is the legacy plugins I could never delete from my Vault are finally gone--this one sparks joy!

• 3 weeks later...