2D equipment rack minimum width

joster

I'm trying to draw our console turrets and below console rack space.  The console builder (Forecast Designs) makes the frame only slightly wider than the 19" mounting at 20.125".  I don't seem to be able to make a rack width smaller than 23.5276 in ConnectCAD. Is this an embedded limit, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Jim Oster

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 minutes ago, joster said:

Sorry, guess I didn't explain well enough.  The rack opening is 19", but the overall rack cabinet width needs to be 20.125".  ConnectCAD seems to limit the cabinet width to 23.5276".

- Okay got it. Well we have this limitation as we want to have some thickness for the rack posts. Currently there is no way to make your rack thinner than this. Anyway, your feedback is welcome and we will consider improving this workflow.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @joster

You can use the 3D Rack object to visualize the layout of your console bays to a higher degree of accuracy. The way to go is to drag your equipment into standard 2D rack objects without worrying too much about what they look like. Then elsewhere place a 3D Rack object for each of the 2D Racks and assign each 3D Rack to it's corresponding 2D Rack using  the popup in the Object Info Palette ( easier to do than to describe !!! ).

Now again in the OIP set the rack style to Console, set the slope of the bay, set the width of the side panels and you get a barebones rack-mounting space that displays your equipment. Insert that into the models created by your console builder and you're done.

Best

Conrad

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

@Conrad Preen 

I have tested this, and I can see the logic and the reasoning behind it. The 3D space is where the mock-ups would come from. We build a lot of racks in trucks that are rail to rail with no real cage around them. I also know that at this point the team isn't doing 3d just yet. Would there ever be a world where you could see the 2D racks getting a thinner setting?