How to create a Vicinity Map from an image file

If the aerial photo is just an image file (JPG, PNG), you can select the image and grab one of it’s corners to scale it.

If you want it to be to ‘scale’, I would put the aerial image on its own Design Layer below the schematic site plan you’re showing. Then create a SLVP placed on your cover Sheet Layer at whatever scale you want.

1 hour ago, Shortnort said:

Thanks.  I will try the different layer suggestion.  Grabbing the corners to rescale didn't work.

I am not trying to have a site plan to scale.  I am trying to have a vicinity map on my coversheet. 

Grabbing the corners should work: The only reason it wouldn't have worked is if you had selected 'Disable interactive Scaling Mode' on the Selection Tool (the first mode). Make sure you have either the second or third modes selected, not the first. See the attached recording of scaling your image on a Sheet Layer.

Also if you hold down the Shift key while you're dragging it will keep the original aspect ratio. 

Or you can do Pat's suggestion, just be careful that 'Entire Drawing' is not selected when you are Scaling the image.

• Like 1

I don’t know if this helps, but “scale by distance” is a good way to sort out scaling map images. If you know a specific distance on the image, then draw a line on the image to define that distance, copy the length of the line in the drawing, then select the map image, scale by distance, paste the line distance in the first field, enter your know distance in the second, and you should be really close.  It’s much simpler than it sounds. 

On outdoor site surveys, I always find a few obvious landmarks and measure between them. Items you know you will see from a satellite image. Then you can scale away fairly accurately. 

The Scale command already has a measuring tool built in. Set the tool to the Symmetric by Distance mode, click the dimension on the right of the Current Distance field and draw between two known points. Then type the distance it is supposed to be between those points and the tool will automatically calculate the correct scale factor.

image.png.1327072405a0547372aaa0d85a3988d2.png

The object in the video is a Rectangle which looks to have an Image Fill applied to it. These scaling methods will resize the Rectangle but not the Image Fill. To do that the resource itself needs to be edited, either in the attributes palette or the resource manager. Or extract the image from the Image Fill + import it as a bitmap which then you can resize in all the ways described.

When you import an image you have the choice to import it as a bitmap or an image resource or both. A bitmap is what you want in this case. An image source will create an Image Fill which you don't want.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

The Scale command already has a measuring tool built in. Set the tool to the Symmetric by Distance mode, click the dimension on the right of the Current Distance field and draw between two known points. Then type the distance it is supposed to be between those points and the tool will automatically calculate the correct scale factor.

image.png.1327072405a0547372aaa0d85a3988d2.png

Sorry, I meant “symmetric by distance”. Thanks for the clarification.