Measuring between Layers

TomG

Question

I'd like to see a tutorial showing how to adjust various elements to each other which reside on different layers. A good example would be roofs to walls. With Align Layer Views and Cut 3D Section having been moved out of the active tool set (in Architect, anyway) the job of adjusting elements against each other just got way harder. One cannot measure between elements of a model shown in a Viewport or between elements of a model using the Stacked Layers--there is no measurable scale tied to these "view-only" images. Also, one cannot cut a Viewport Section and convert it to lines in its original scale, or any scale that I can figure out. So I'd love to read how to make measurements work. Thanks.

1 answer to this question

Hi Tom, here are a couple tips (tricks?):

First: you can add ALIGN LAYERS & CUT 3D SECTION back into your workspace using the WORRKSPACE EDITOR. It was one of the first things I did (although I don't really use them that much).

Next: If you create a LAYER LINK of all of your design layers you will be able to do things like measure between layers. You can also create elements right in the LINKED LAYER as it is merely another DESIGN LAYER.

Third: Try using the exact same "Z" values for the PLAN LAYER and the ROOF LAYER. That way you can create your roof right in the plan layer (and more importantly right ON the walls) and then simply cut & paste it into its own layer (where it will be the exact same height as when created). You can even move it back into the plan layer should you need to tinker with it.

Fourth: The SECTION VP is intended to act as a "base" or rough take of the section. By double clicking and choosing "ANNOTATIONS" you can draw over it to give it more detail/enhancement. Of course, if you use this method you will need to be very accurate when you originally model the building. Remember GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) and WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get).

Hope that helps :-)