Shorten and join strings like: Coprosma hawera to CopHaw

I want to shorten and join strings like this 'Coprosma hawera ' that are in a single cell to CopHaw and have them in another worksheet cell. The case would be nice but it's not a must-have. Has anyone solved this. VW screenshot of what I want to see. 

548401194_ConcatenateGenusspeciestoGenSpe.JPG.6aa47b8914e35c0fb21f0aed676970bc.JPG

Excel example enclosed below, but I wouldn't have a clue how to do this in vectorworks.

552794259_ConcatenateGenusspeciestoGenSpeExcelexample.JPG.af60f5d443ba198b56765f8daae72c75.JPG

I think this is going to be difficult in VW2018.  My best attempt failed. The string handling capabilities just are not strong enough.

VW2023 has added a bunch of new worksheet functions that would make this easy. 

=CONCAT(LEFT(B3, 3), PROPER(LEFT(SUBSTRING(B3, ' ', 2), 3)))

There is not equivalent to Left or Proper in VW2018 (or at least in 2021 which was where I tested this). If you decide to upgrade to VW2023 then the above formula will give you the 6 characters you want and (assuming the very first character is capitalized) the Capitalization of each substring.

Sorry.

14 hours ago, unearthed said:

but I wouldn't have a clue how to do this in vectorworks

Challenge accepted - well, the best I can fudge for a fellow user of 2018.

This might help, or you may see alternatives that are better for your actual circumstances

803579200_ScreenShot2023-03-20at16_08_31.png.397666806db78e7d1572a741bb76ae11.png

Sorry - can't resize this (its not me 'shouting') I understand theres a bug?

Using symbol names provides column 1, using an attached record that lists the short names you want provides column 2

Oh well, its a start....