Class regrouping/renaming

Gorf

Question

I import a lot of Autocad/DWG drawings into Vectorworks drawings. Therefore you end up with loads of classes. I am looking for a way to select a number of classes, and then give them all the same prefix so that they become grouped together under a suitable name.

For example you might have several classes that are the result of importing a dwg from a consultant, they are called maybe: STRUCTURE, BASE, STEELWORK etc. I want to regroup them all into: Struct Eng-STRUCTURE, Struct Eng-BASE, Struct Eng-STEELWORK etc.

At the moment you have to edit each class individually which is a pain.

Is there any quicker way?

Or is there a quick way to do something in AutoCad?

5 answers to this question

In Autocad's Layer Manager, you can change the layer name just by clicking on it, without opening another window. If you copied "Struct Eng-" to the clipboard, and then pasted it in at the front of all the appropriate layer names, that would probably be the quickest way.

When I import a DWG file, I always just convert everything that's imported to "None" class, and then purge all those hundreds of classes. They're never worth the trouble they cause.

There is a pair of VW scripts floating around that does what you're wanting. They are "RGM Prefix Classes" and "RGM Deprefix Classes." I've got them, but don't remember who wrote them or where I got them. I'll be willing to share, but need to make sure they aren't part of someone's commercial script pack. (I've purchased a few of those over the years and can never keep sources straight.)

Thanks for the response. Since writing last we actually found a vectorscript called "Prefix Classes", i guess its the same or similar to the ones you suggested. We got it from a guy who writes them. his website is panzercad.com. The script (which works like a charm) doesn't appear on the website, but he sent it through to a friend who works here. I can send it on to anyone who wants it. Just ask