3D Reshape Tool

reem

Question

I'd like a clue at how to use the 3D Reshape Tool. It seems to work differently for different types of objects and as a beginner, I'm struggling trying to figure it out. Sometimes you can grab editable points, sometimes you have to ungroup an object and edit it plane by plane which is really cumbersome. Am I doing this correctly? Is there a better way?

I don't know. It's very mysterious. [big Grin]

1 answer to this question

quote:

Originally posted by reem:

I'd like a clue at how to use the 3D Reshape Tool. It seems to work differently for different types of objects and as a beginner, I'm struggling trying to figure it out.

Since I am a beginner as well, please (all of you out there) don't let me get away with pretending to be the final word on this.

It seems to me that you already have touched the heart of the matter. Like many VW tools, this one only works with specific types of objects.

In my brief experience, I have come to believe that, while they may look 3D and/or solid, an object that is defined as a group by the OIP is still just a group of its components. I have come to find that the Reshape tool is for objects that were initially created as completely 3D objects, e.g. extrudes. I believe that I have found it to work well w/ NURBS objects and other objects that were created w/ 3D "Create (Insert Object name)" tools (e.g. walls).The User's Guide specifically states that it will not work on a mesh object (I found this frustrating for a while, until I realized it wasn't supposed to) which seem to be more like a group of 2D objects.

I hope that the group at large will straighten me out where I've got it wrong.

IMHO-

I believe that VW is a better system because of this "tool specificity." Most fine craftsmen have heavy tool boxes because they have many tools for very discrete, refined purposes. The way some posts, I have seen, seem to bemoan the fact that one tool can't do every CAD task by itself makes me wonder if the authors still use a ball peen hammer (or a Crescent wrench) to drive nails.