ROOF OBJECTS

mary

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi Mary. If you are getting a "roof is too complicated" message, you will need to simplify the geometry you are using to create the roof. What I usually do is divide the roof into parts that are as straight forward as possible, then try again. Sometimes I will create a basic roof for part of my model, and then create "roof faces" for the remainder. Or I will creatre two (or three, or more) diferent "roof objects" which I can then look at to see how they interact with each other. Sometimes I "ungroup" the roof object, which will give you "roof faces". Then you can edit the shape each face by double clicking on it. I hope that helps!

Mary,

If you'll think carefully about where you actually want the drip-line of the roof, you may find the walls change direction (recess for an entry, say) and jog in and out but the drip-line doesn't necessarily follow every turn and jog. You might go look at some actual roofs. (No disrespect intended.)

25 yrs ago, I got my start in construction framing large, cut-up, complex roofs. If you think drawing them is a challenge. . .

That all said, you need to simplify the geometry that VW is using to create the roof. You might draw a somewhat simpler polygon than the outline of the walls and use that as a base to create the roof from. You may then need to add dormers and other details to make sure the water gets to the edge.

I find the roof resources in VW to be amazingly useable, tho I know some others have a different reaction. I've not yet visualized a roof I couldn't create in VW, so keep working at it.

In addition to Peter's excellent primer above, there are some good training resources on this subject available. Check out http://www.archoncad.co.nz/, even if all you do is download the architect sample.

Good luck,

[ 02-03-2005, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Travis ]

Well not to stray too far from the original topic but... I use open (3 sided) poly's for the following things: 1) Say you need to show a hatched deck (poly) attached to a house (all 2d stuff), but don't want to see a redundant line along the wall of the house... 2) Or maybe you have a detail where you use a break line to cut a 2d section of a stud wall, and again the redundant line (which would interfere with the break line) can be removed... There are probably lots of other uses, but there's a couple examples. P

Sometimes, at first the roof may say it's too complicated, but I have found if you continue to change point hieghts, overhangs, and gable to match plan. It will appear. I deleted and rebuilt way too many roofs before I knew this.

Brian

Promotional Designer

Mac Dual 1.8 G5; OS 10.3.8

3 GB RAM; VW 11.5