Sign in to follow this  
mary

ROOF OBJECTS

Question

I am a new user and having difficulty creating a less than simple roof. My roof drawings seem to be 'too complicated' to create. The solution is probably very simple but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions?

8 answers to this question

Hi Mary. If you are getting a "roof is too complicated" message, you will need to simplify the geometry you are using to create the roof. What I usually do is divide the roof into parts that are as straight forward as possible, then try again. Sometimes I will create a basic roof for part of my model, and then create "roof faces" for the remainder. Or I will creatre two (or three, or more) diferent "roof objects" which I can then look at to see how they interact with each other. Sometimes I "ungroup" the roof object, which will give you "roof faces". Then you can edit the shape each face by double clicking on it. I hope that helps!

Mary,

If you'll think carefully about where you actually want the drip-line of the roof, you may find the walls change direction (recess for an entry, say) and jog in and out but the drip-line doesn't necessarily follow every turn and jog. You might go look at some actual roofs. (No disrespect intended.)

25 yrs ago, I got my start in construction framing large, cut-up, complex roofs. If you think drawing them is a challenge. . .

That all said, you need to simplify the geometry that VW is using to create the roof. You might draw a somewhat simpler polygon than the outline of the walls and use that as a base to create the roof from. You may then need to add dormers and other details to make sure the water gets to the edge.

I find the roof resources in VW to be amazingly useable, tho I know some others have a different reaction. I've not yet visualized a roof I couldn't create in VW, so keep working at it.

In addition to Peter's excellent primer above, there are some good training resources on this subject available. Check out http://www.archoncad.co.nz/, even if all you do is download the architect sample.

Good luck,

[ 02-03-2005, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Travis ]

Thanks Peter, I agree. Be sure that the "Closed" checkbox is checked in the OIP. (I never really understood what good an "Open"polygon is. Seems that the very definition of polygon is that it is closed).

Well not to stray too far from the original topic but... I use open (3 sided) poly's for the following things: 1) Say you need to show a hatched deck (poly) attached to a house (all 2d stuff), but don't want to see a redundant line along the wall of the house... 2) Or maybe you have a detail where you use a break line to cut a 2d section of a stud wall, and again the redundant line (which would interfere with the break line) can be removed... There are probably lots of other uses, but there's a couple examples. P

Well Peter, you just taught me something. I tried your example, and yes, I see how useful that is. I did not even know that you could create a 3 sided rectangle.

Thank you.

There is also another cause for "Roof is too complex" message. If you are creating your roof from a polygon, be sure that it does not have extra verticies. Use the 2d Reshape Tool to verify, and to remove any extra verticies prior to using the Roof Command.

Oh yeah, that reminds me: I think (maybe someone else can verify?) that you can only use a "closed" polygon to create a roof.:-)

Sometimes, at first the roof may say it's too complicated, but I have found if you continue to change point hieghts, overhangs, and gable to match plan. It will appear. I deleted and rebuilt way too many roofs before I knew this.

Brian

Promotional Designer

Mac Dual 1.8 G5; OS 10.3.8

3 GB RAM; VW 11.5