VW 2023 - Graphic Legend Causes Delay in Screen Refresh when Zooming/Panning

Matt Leak

Question

Hello!

I created a graphic legend to show all of our fire rating line types.  When zooming or panning, there is a significant delay in regenerating the screen, and the spinning wheel of death appears.  I'm wondering if this has to do with the line types having text in them?  Has anyone else had issues with zoom/pan slowness when using graphic legends?

I tried a screen recording, but the spinning wheel of death is not captured.

Thanks for your help!

15 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 3/8/2023 at 3:43 PM, Matt Leak said:

If you watch closely, you can see how long it takes for the graphics to regenerate.

@Matt Leak it definitely shouldn't be that slow; did you happen to disable "Accelerate graphics" under the Display tab of the Vectorworks Preferences?  Disabling "Unified View" in the Document Preferences can also lead to those kind of redraw hangs.  If that doesn't work can you DM me the file so we can take a look?  Thanks for pointing this out and helping us address it.

2 hours ago, _James said:

Simple electrical key graphic legend makes panning very slow but when it is deleted the file is straight back to normal.

Are they 2D only or hybrid symbols? Have no idea if that makes a difference. In my case my whole computer seems to groan under the strain caused by the legend...

I sent an example file to @Josh Loy but not heard back

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks all, we are looking into this!  To be completely honest the performance I see is great on both my Windows and Mac computers; even after copying the GLs several times.  I'll pass this off to our QA department and will report back what they find.

• Like 1

Something wonky with snapping and possibly related to the system tracks the cursor location has been occuring for a few generations now on the Win platform. As far back as VW2019 I think. But it was never something that could be captured to demonstrate. Like snaps functionality seemingly being disabled when in edit mode for 3d objects and sometimes all it took was to switch to wireframe and back to hidden or shaded and visa versa. Or trying to select objects in 3d edit where the object is visualized in one area but its edit nodes are displaying in another area.

And this may be something else all together, but after changing data in the object info palette the program not acknowledging short cut keys even though the enter key was used to terminate the entry and when one subsequently clicks on the main window if you don't select the window bar at the top the program occasionally locks up and eventually crashes to desktop or has to be forced into termination because it seems like the application is searching for an object that may or may not be in the cursor area. I'm guessing it loops through some code seemingly chasing its tail until it loses track of or runs out of memory. Could this also be related to the old auto-save bug where by when you tried to select too much while the application was initiating an auto-save a crash to desktop would occur??? Again I've never been able to capture the incident, only curse at it after losing 20-30 minutes of editing.

On 3/31/2023 at 3:07 PM, Gunther said:

We have duplicated the issue in house and are currently investigating.  The issue appears snapping related and temporally disabling snapping using the '~' key can help at times.  

Disabling snapping doesn't make an awful lot of difference for me.

Not sure if this is related, but after doing graphic legend annotations the program stops to think for a loooooong time, after eg. moving something in the annotation space.

Edited by JMR
clarity