Default parts classes

symo

Hi All

Ive recently stumbled across the Spotlight (UK metric) template and this has inspired me to give my own template file a thorough make-over. One thing I cant figure out is how parts classes are assigned before I insert an audio or video object. For example, if I insert a projector & screen from the spotlight toolset, if I select the projector and select the Parts Classes button in the OIP, all the parts are pre-assigned to existing classes. My question is - where in VW can I pre-assign these classes before I insert any symbols into my drawing?

Cheers

6 hours ago, symo said:

where in VW can I pre-assign these classes before I insert any symbols into my drawing?

Echoing Kevin...

In the "Parts Classes..." dialog, you have 2 options:  1)  You can set each part Class individually using the pop-up menus - or - 2) You can click the "Assign Default Classes with Prefix," which will set up a default Class structure for you.

7 hours ago, symo said:

My question is - where in VW can I pre-assign these classes before I insert any symbols into my drawing?

Adding that you would either manually create these classes in the new empty template file or import them. Think that's where you're going with that, right? You want to open your template file, and already see those classes in there?

To further template that workflow, save your plugin objects as red symbols with those parts classes assigned. That way, when you drag those red symbols (plug in objects) from the RM onto the design layer, you won't have to reassign them.

As for the symbols themselves, I think you meant plug in objects, right? Not symbols? If you did mean symbols, you would have to save them to your personal library and then edit the symbol definition of each... 

18 hours ago, C. Andrew Dunning said:

In the "Parts Classes..." dialog, you have 2 options:  1)  You can set each part Class individually using the pop-up menus - or - 2) You can click the "Assign Default Classes with Prefix," which will set up a default Class structure for you.

Thank you @C. Andrew Dunning

17 hours ago, Lunar Waneshaft said:

Adding that you would either manually create these classes in the new empty template file or import them. Think that's where you're going with that, right? You want to open your template file, and already see those classes in there?

Yes, thats right

To further template that workflow, save your plugin objects as red symbols with those parts classes assigned. That way, when you drag those red symbols (plug in objects) from the RM onto the design layer, you won't have to reassign them.

Hi @Lunar Waneshaft I like your thinking here but how do you save plug-in objects as red symbols?

As for the symbols themselves, I think you meant plug in objects, right? Not symbols? If you did mean symbols, you would have to save them to your personal library and then edit the symbol definition of each... 

Yes, I meant plug-in objects. Im about go thru my personal library and re-class all my symbols. Cheers

8 hours ago, symo said:

Thank you @C. Andrew Dunning

Yes, thats right

Food-for-thought if you want the Class structure saved in your Template:  Place an instance of the PIO in-question, change the defaults to suit your wants and get the Class structure in the Parts Classes dialog set the way you want it.  Click "OK" an let the PIO generate the Classes.  Delete the PIO instance.  Re-save your Template.  The PIO settings will be saved in a hidden Record and the Classes will be added to your Template structure.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, C. Andrew Dunning said:

Food-for-thought if you want the Class structure saved in your Template:  Place an instance of the PIO in-question, change the defaults to suit your wants and get the Class structure in the Parts Classes dialog set the way you want it.  Click "OK" an let the PIO generate the Classes.  Delete the PIO instance.  Re-save your Template.  The PIO settings will be saved in a hidden Record and the Classes will be added to your Template structure.

All makes sense, cheers