Editing Symbols

michael john williams

Question

MJW

Don't dismiss training so lightly. The program is constantly evolving so the need for training is continuous, whether it be self training or formal training. There is a continuing need to come to grips with new features and ways of doing things as they are added.

Even though I have been using the program for 11.5 years I wouldn't pretend to know everything. I have learnt from the other sources I have mentioned, and expect to continue to do so.

Think of training as an investment which will enhance your capability and make you more productive. It may also help to diminish your obvious frustrations.

Contact your UK distributor and ask them what training is available and who does it where. In a brief search of the internet I found some UK training resources.

WHOA!Can I ask something? Do I understand Andrew Bell to say that, if I get architect I get a whole new "editability" of PIOs and symbols? This would be great because, right now I'm trying to create a window object with tapered sides I can plug into walls. Like Michael, I can't seem to get it by editing the existing window symbol, or by creating a symbol from something I've drawn. Well, actually more correctky, I can create the symbol fine, but it wont plug in and trim nice and neatly like the one in the resources does. What am I missing? Ability with Scipt? Architect?

you get more editability of some and others that you didn't have before, and various commands etc etc. (and the Sketch ability)

I don't think that extends to tapered windows though(??)

However, if you make your own windows, and set the Create Symbol>Options and Insertion Point boxes, it should cut your walls properly. (and can be moved in the wall by the 3D edit tool)

HTH

N

[ 05-03-2005, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: propstuff ]

OK thanks, going to try it. For all you expert users out there, note Tech@Nemetschek's reply to this question, and I quote.... "Unfortunately, creating a tapered reveal for a window symbol is beyond the scope of Technical Support". Oh....er.....ok. So if anybody has ever succeeded in doing this, and I KNOW you're out there somewhere, give yourself a pat on the back! Any chance somebody could email me an example so I can just import it? Pretty please?

Dave Hammond

dghl,

Sorry, I thought you meant tapered in elevation, not splayed, however,

you will have to make your own symbol (a Multiple Extrude or Tapered Extrude is a good start to make the splay).

Now the good bit! ;-)

Symbols will work in solids Modeling, so all you have to do is place the symbol, and, as long as the splay is thicker than the wall, you can do a Solid Subtraction which will cut the splayed hole,

then insert another symbol in the hole.

hth,

N.

note: I havent tried this on a machine with renderworks, so I'm not sure what it'll do to the rendering of the reveal and each side of the wall..........

D'OH!!

I just realised that after subtracting a solid from a Wall it ceases to be a Wall. .

[ 05-04-2005, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: propstuff ]