Viewports and sheet layers

michael john williams

Question

I am having problems using viewports and views and would appreciate some help.

I have set up views and viewports of a house in ground floor plan and first floor plan and roof plan and then started setting up different views of the plan ie front [elevation], rear and sides, etc and the titleblock [on a design layer]has disappeared in the front view but is visible in the plan views.

The titleblock is set up as a layer and this layer is used as an A3 template for drawings.

How can I have the titleblock visible in all viewports and views irrelevant of the type of view?

4 answers to this question

use the title block symbol everytime, it is much more reliable that the design layer method. when you make it into a symbol, you can make it issue manager frieindly and then you can use it with the issue manager to control all the title blocks in the file...

if you don'tknow how to make a title block symbol, check out my Architect Tutorial. It covers how to make the title block symbol, what the issue manager is all about and how to make your title block issue manager friendly.

Changed the title block into a symbol but it did not work!

You have to put the symbol on a layer and it disappears in front view.

Is this because the symbol is on a different layer? Or because it is at a different scale to the front view? Or because it is changing everything to front view, including the title block which can only been seen in plan? Perhaps yu can not add title blocks to any view unless it is in plan!

mw

MJW, Sorry to be jumping in late here. Not sure if this was made clear to you, but you need to create your TITLE BLOCK symbol in 1:1 scale and in TOP PLAN view. Then you will be able to insert it in to a SHEET LAYER. The caveat with this is that you will a need different size TITLE BLOCK symbol for different page sizes (see below for alternate method).

Think of a SHEET LAYER like a piece of paper onto which you place various drawings, viewports and symbols. SHEET LAYERS are always in 1:1 scale. But VIEWPORTS can be scaled in the Object Info Palette (OIP). I might use one SHEET LAYER for all my ELEVATIONS, but EACH ELEVATION is contained in its own VIEWPORT. That way I can place multiple viewports onto a sheet layer and move them just where I want them.

An alternate method for TITLE BLOCKS is to take your existing TITLE BLOCK and use the CREATE VIEWPORT command. Then you will be able to insert that VIEWPORT on to SHEET LAYERS and you will have the ability to scale it in the OIP. This is useful if you use different size sheets for presentation.

I hope that helps you!