Link Text to Record: multiple lines of text

Leonard Marsh

Question

Is it possible to have multiple lines of text with one Record Format entry or will it require multiple Record Format entries? For example: the sheet title requires three lines of text in the Title Block. I tried creating a Text Block and the entered text continued in one unbroken line, i.e., it didn't obey the Text Block end point I created in the symbol.

TIA

9 answers to this question

Leonard,

The only way I know to have text wrap in Title Block text blocks is to copy a carriage return (CR) and then paste it where you want the lines to return.

I've posted this solution before and no one has suggested any other alternative. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with multiple line title blocks (Sheet titles, mostly) very often.

Good luck,

Create a blank text block (using the Text tool, draw a rectangle), hit your Return key . . .you'll notice the cursor jumps down one line. Edit-Select All (or command-A, from your keyboard) will highlight everything in the text block, which is only the CR. Edit-Copy (or command-C). Now you have stored a CR that can be Pasted wherever you like.

Good luck,

Travis,

Thanks much for the information. I am sure I am showing how new I am to Vectorworks but how do I copy the CR into a Record format for say a title block where I want mutiple lines.

Every way I have tried to do this I still get one long line of text.

Thanks

I do drawings for aircraft and that requires me to to use the ANSI standards for drawings. As far as I can tell I can't use the Issue Manager since I am not using architectural drawing borders. I did buy the industry package though. From what can tell I will have to make my own drawing borders. I would just like to automate the tedious work of entering duplicate data on multiple sheets. My drawings can get rather large with many pages and automating and tracking the day to day information allows me to spend more time designing.

Again

Thanks for your help.

You can customize a drawing border and then use Issue Manager to help automate the text blocks specific to each sheet. Please review the manuals, but the most straightforward method I know is to place one of the Drawing Border tool's options on a blank sheet and then modify it to suit your needs. DON"T modify the titles that will be later filled in by Issue Manager.

Once you have a suitable border defined, save it as an object. You can then import it from one drawing to the next. Or, better yet, get all your standard classes, layers, hatches, objects, etc. set up on a blank document and save it as a Template. Then, to start a new project, you simply open a blank template that's already to go.

To the issue of this specific thread, you'll find the text blocks you need to create that hold common information (logo, company name, etc.) will be manipulated into multiple lines as expected. It's when the time comes to issue multi-line titles via Issue Manager (ie, an individual sheet title) that you'll need to use the CR trick I outlined before.

Good luck,

Thanks again Travis,

I will try this. I didn't realise you could modify these drawing borders and then resave them and have everything work still. I just figured what you see is what you got. I will look into this harder now that I know that I can do it.

Again thanks, you saved me a lot of time.