GRAPHIC LEGEND - Material Description, Mark, Keynote ...

Hello,

Is it possible for graphic legend based on material name to include information like material description, mark, keynote ...

We have tried with worksheet function:

#WS_MATERIALPROPERTY('MaterialKeynote')#

but it is not working.

Is there a way to extract these type of data?

Any suggestions much apreciated.

• Like 2

#WS_MaterialProperty# Does note seem to work in Graphical Legends. My guess is that the object type that is actually being reported is not a Material, but something else, so the primary object does not have material properties.

#WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(MaterialName,'MaterialKeynote')#. Does work. I also tested Description and Mark.

image.png.8c23b65ea20e1befa125e7b4104c6b6d.png

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

#WS_MaterialProperty# Does note seem to work in Graphical Legends. My guess is that the object type that is actually being reported is not a Material, but something else, so the primary object does not have material properties.

#WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(MaterialName,'MaterialKeynote')#. Does work. I also tested Description and Mark.

I am very new to Graphic Legends. Trying them out for first time really. #WS_MATPROPERTYBYNAME(MaterialName,'MaterialDescription')# works if Filter by Viewport... isn't enabled but as far as I can tell this results in the legend returning all the Materials used by objects in the file rather than the specific ones I'm interested in. I can go through + make the unwanted cells invisible but is there a way to return the Description field for just the Materials in a particular VP?

Thanks

@Tom W. Filtering by Viewport worked find for me.

Did you actually put a check mark in the Use column of the dialog box.  When I do, I only get the materials showing inside the crop of that viewport.  Do you need to add a Crop object to your viewport? Or adjust your crop so that it does not touch objects you don't want in the legend?

image.png.38be9107edb511b4d8400b56375a7ed5.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

Did you actually put a check mark in the Use column of the dialog box.

Yes absolutely.

1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

Do you need to add a Crop object to your viewport? Or adjust your crop so that it does not touch objects you don't want in the legend?

There are no other objects within the VP crop + the objects in my VP are not touching any other objects.

This is my VP + accompanying Graphic Legend with 'Filter by Viewport' disabled:

670889323_Screenshot2023-03-05at16_33_14.thumb.png.8f61ed1d58795b1e72c3b4aa8d10a359.png

The Legend displays not only the Materials assigned to the Wall but all the other Materials which are applied to objects in the file.

When I enable 'Filter by Viewport' I get this:

1891488206_Screenshot2023-03-05at16_36_41.thumb.png.c5d8f833498d73c50242b3aec7073644.png

The number of Materials now shown is correct (i.e. they relate to the Walls) but I lose the Description text.

In contrast, if I change the dynamic text for the Legend to #MATERIAL# + repeat the exercise, I get this when 'Filter by Viewport' is disabled:

1185698046_Screenshot2023-03-05at16_41_44.png.03317743fc9374ebe81109b6cc9ffb5f.png

i.e. all the Materials again.

And this when it's enabled:

1754626399_Screenshot2023-03-05at16_41_15.png.a1844c4a48fb033eab835ac138339d53.png

i.e. just the Wall Materials but also the text so now it works as expected.

Could it be related to the fact the VP is of a Wall + the Materials are assigned to components within that Wall? I have just tried with Extrudes instead + it works fine so I guess it is...:

1923454907_Screenshot2023-03-05at16_46_40.thumb.png.dc12ff96f30212ba84220c80fad8e397.png

Although one of the images is displaying incorrectly for some reason, not sure why that is... Because it's a Tile??? 🤨

Edited by Tom W.
On 3/4/2023 at 6:09 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Thanks @Pat Stanford. No luck for me with this one though. I use the exact phrase in your screenshot but get nothing at all out of it. Am I supposed to modify the text somehow? This one works for both attributes and objects? 

On a side note, I find this type of workflow a little to much coding-esque for my knowledge. Is it possible to get the same result in more of a clicking on stuff-workflow?

Are you trying in VW2022 or 2023?  I think that worksheet function may have been added in VW2023.

And no there is not click around option.  That Worksheet Function does not appears in the Dynamic Text Editor.  It would be a good wish to have more WS functions added to the Dynamic Text editor.

@Anders BlombergThe formula seems to work fine when opened in my version of VW2023.  Some of your Materials need to be edited to include the proper data.

You have the Pats Syntax field in the Graphical Legend set to display the Material Mark.  Several of the Materials in the file do not have their Mark Set.  For Stenmjöl MT the Mark field is not defined so the Dynamic Text is returning a blank field. I am assuming that the same is true of the other materials not showing their mark also.

HTH

I think it is a comma (,) some places + semi-colon (;) others depending on geographical location or language or operating system? I don't know exactly but someone else will explain. The main thing is I am a comma/, person like Pat but my formula must have got translated when sent to you, whereas prior to that you were just copying + pasting the foreign text from here.

This is what it looks like for me:

1914033627_Screenshot2023-03-14at15_53_05.thumb.png.94173d02cdc6f7e00f801c5bc9a35c4e.png

So now you know: when you see a comma, replace it with a semi-colon!

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I think it is a comma (,) some places + semi-colon (;) others depending on geographical location or language or operating system? I don't know exactly but someone else will explain

Found this right at the top of that developer Worksheet Functions page you linked:

Disclaimer 

All function descriptions below use US notation.

In European notation, the decimal "." should be "," and the separator "," should become ";".

Thanks for posting that link by the way, I forget that pages like that exist. 

• Like 2