Stake object Easting & Northing coordinates don't match XY

Christiaan

Question

What am I doing wrong here?

The easting/northing coordinates of this Stake object don't match the x/y coordinates in the OIP.

The coordinates in the OIP are what I'm expecting to see. This is also the Internal Origin.

But there's an offset of figures that I don't recognise:

X 35173.833

Y 18765.589

I thought maybe because I'm using rotated view. But going back to zero degrees doesn't resolve it. If I change the stake object label reference to "Coordinate Point (XY)" (in metres) it reports the correct figures.

93841145_Screenshot2023-02-27at16_17_36.thumb.png.850dc2e65ab67c9987dbac46314dbd3e.png

test_file_v2022.vwx test_file_v2023.vwx

9 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Not entirely sure if I've done the right thing but this appears to have resolved my issue|:

Tools > Origin > User Origin... > Set User Origin to match the Georeferencing coordinate system

This was exactly the right thing to do.

When you open a blank document in the UK the User Origin (0,0 point) + Internal Origin (blue reticule) are both positioned at the Prime Meridian, Greenwich (just because they need to be located somewhere + that's as good a place as any). This is what the coordinates in your Stake are referring to. If you were to activate the Geoimage Tool you would get a nice aerial shot of Greenwich to prove it.

When you run 'Set User Origin to match the Georeferencing coordinate system' you are telling VW to move the user-defined 0,0 point away from Greenwich + instead place it at the correct location for the British National Grid i.e. south-west of the Scilly Isles (if you go to the Document Georeferencing settings you will see that OSGB 1936 British National Grid is the preset coordinate system for UK files). This has the effect of bringing the user-defined coordinates (the rulers, x/y values in OIP, etc) in line with the georeferencing coordinate system meaning that the coordinates the Stake returns + the x/y location of the Stake in the OIP are now identical.

That's my understanding at least...

• Love 1

Thanks Tom, astute as ever.

I seem to have screwed this up with a circular reference. I've referenced both my building model files into the site model file, which is fine. But then after referencing the site model file into one of the building model files my coordinates are screwed up in both of those files. They're still okay in the building model file that I didn't reference the site model into.

• Like 1

No probs it's useful for me to remind myself how it all works as it's not the easiest to wrap your head around...

16 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

I seem to have screwed this up with a circular reference. I've referenced both my building model files into the site model file, which is fine. But then after referencing the site model file into one of the building model files my coordinates are screwed up in both of those files. They're still okay in the building model file that I didn't reference the site model into.

I have done this in a project + it worked fine from a georeferencing point of view, but I'm pretty sure it resulted in a infinite loop of referencing back + forth across the files + incredibly long update times, although that obviously isn't happening with you or you would have mentioned it so perhaps it was some other reason in my case... 

Have you made sure that all files involved are georeferenced?

I resolved this with Tools > Origin > User Origin... > Set User Origin (relative to the Internal Origin) to. Setting X and Y to the project base point (x 503707243 mm, y 196096950mm).

Now I've tried doing the workgroup referencing again and I haven't been able to reproduce the problem with xy coordinates.

6 hours ago, Christiaan said:

I resolved this with Tools > Origin > User Origin... > Set User Origin (relative to the Internal Origin) to. Setting X and Y to the project base point (x 503707243 mm, y 196096950mm).

Now I've tried doing the workgroup referencing again and I haven't been able to reproduce the problem with xy coordinates.

Not so fast. While my xy coordinates were correct, but when I place a stake objects I'm back to square one, it's reporting the wrong figures again.

But this time if I use Tools > Origin > User Origin... > Set User Origin to match the Georeferencing coordinate system both the xy coordinates and the stake object coordinates end up being wrong (but coordinated).

Also, when I download a Geoimage it doesn't match my User Origin (or the vector graphic of the UK and OS grid I imported earlier):

460814031_Screenshot2023-03-01at18_50_55.thumb.png.e8dca0fa304ac8e50795b24dc8827420.png

10 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Have you made sure that all files involved are georeferenced?

Perhaps I hadn't set that properly. Because I set XY in Document Georeferencing to the correct figures and use the transform option. And now the OIP and Stake object are reporting the same figures. 

Should I have also set the Angle to Truth North originally?

860799285_Screenshot2023-03-01at19_05_29.thumb.png.33ac1193c43ccaf54ac3b5984c91bd62.png

57584754_Screenshot2023-03-01at19_05_45.thumb.png.5b521e74dc7612491565ed5e9b41e3d2.png

I have a couple of georeferenced template files that I use for all my projects so I am not really using any of these settings on a regular basis. I set up the files a couple of years ago + haven't had to do anything since!

The precise location of the Internal Origin however I've never been too fussed about, other than ensuring it's within 5km of my drawing. I'm pretty sure you can have the internal Origin in different locations in different files + they all still correspond properly from a georeferencing point of view when one is referenced into the other.

• Like 1