Deadhang positions and weight calculation

Deadhand rigging and weight calculation.

In the first instance, I'm trying to understand how to deadhang rig with a truss completely parallel to another upper truss, and where I need to insert at least two points.

I have constant errors: The suspension point is not attached

And when I try to calculate the weights or I have errors in the calculation, or the weight of the upper and lower truss is not accounted for (nor the respective equipment that is hanged in it)
It would be expected that the weight of V2 SR would be the sum of V2 SR and LX2 SR.

For those engines, if I try to calculate the weight per engine I get the following errors:

Can you help me with this? because I need to calculate the total weight in each hoist point, and this way I can't

Experiencia de pesos.png

Experiencia de pesos 2.png

Screenshot_1.png

Hello guys

On 2/25/2023 at 5:50 PM, Scott C. Parker said:

@Cristiano AlvesAre you able to share your file? 

Of course, but I'm learing on a student version. Probably you can't open my file.
But you can download it on the link: 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14qJBbXuXE5Qiy-8uvaxeW7ef5e9qPHn5/view?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, jcogdell said:

Also check your Braceworks calculation settings,

do you have a safety factor applied?
is compensate drops on?

What version of Spotlight are you using?

I'm starting with braceworks now, I dont know where this definitions stay, but I think is ok because if I add all deadhangs manually and if i make a "Calculate Selection"

image.thumb.png.6471fd0f98f5fc206b7fdc2a86aa6508.png

I have a good results in braceworks reports.

However if I try align the deadhangs all the connectons are break.
Its very dificult find informations about use deadhangs that way 😕

image.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You're actually doing well with the file. To fix the few issues you've found...

On 2/24/2023 at 1:56 PM, Cristiano Alves said:

The suspension point is not attached

You had a duplicate hoist. If you select and drag the hoist away from the connection point, you'll see a second hoist. Delete one of them and then reattach the remaining one back to the truss.

The model error "The ID is already in use...
To solve this, go to the Braceworks menu and select the Reset Braceworks IDs menu command.

To show the load info for each hoist, add a Data Tag to each. More info about tags are in the help file and https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/forum/186-data-tags/

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/102258-data-tag-for-hanging-position-trim-and-weight/#comment-447185

• Like 1

First of all thank you very much for your help and encouragement.

I found this duplicate motor, and I connected it and it worked fine.

However for the deadhangs I'm having some issues with them.

For example, I want to put 4 deadhangs in parallel truss.

I have to insert them manually in an "isometric" view, with the "insert connection" tool.

After that, If I do the braceworks calculation, sometimes I get it to be ok (green).

However, the deadhangs are not in the correct places, as I want them to be equidistant from each other.

If I use the Alight/Distribute tool, the calculation stops working:
If I use the cursor to manually move the "deadhands", I can't do the calculation either.

In both methods gives the error: "The suspension point is not attached"

What am I made wrong?

• Like 1

Once inserted drops (hoist or dead-hang bridle) can't be moved, so you have to make sure that they are in the correct position at insertion. Moving them after insertion will disconnect them and you will need to reinsert them with the insert connection tool

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello 

First of all, thank you so much for your replays.

Understand.

On 3/2/2023 at 8:55 AM, jcogdell said:

Once inserted drops (hoist or dead-hang bridle) can't be moved, so you have to make sure that they are in the correct position at insertion. Moving them after insertion will disconnect them and you will need to reinsert them with the insert connection tool

But its very dificult when we need insert a deadhang on paralells truss with the same space betweeen them. 
Am I doing something wrong? Or is there anything I can do to make this process easier?

Another questions:
Question 1:

If I use braceworks to calculate forces and weight truss, fixtures, hoits are included, but I test with diferente deadhangs sizes (biggest deadhang will be more it will be heavier because it contains more steel). However the weights in booth systems are the same.
Did I miss a step in between for the deadhang parts to be included in the weight calculation?

image.thumb.png.62ee85afa7d346b588fe5979e19d0c18.png

image.thumb.png.c27977612b9758124d4c2172a459c3b7.png

Question 2:

I have dedicated some time to learn about bridles, hanging systems, rigging in VW and Braceworks.
I still haven't found many tutorials that are explicit, they usually start from a more advanced knowledge, for example in bridles I still couldn't understand these different parts in their creation.

For example, the same method for creating bridles (dead hang in this case) generates different results:

image.thumb.png.4bf5959b312f98ac9aa4edf316a81683.png

Can someone enlighten me or indicate good basic tutorials to understand these tools correctly?

@Cristiano Alves

to answer your first question currently bridle parts do not document their own weight, so there are 2 ways to deal with this,
The easiest is to increase the safety factor for the rigging category to take this into account

The second option is a bit more work but is more accurate, add a point load for each dead-hangs weight directly under the dead-hang.

7 hours ago, Cristiano Alves said:

I have dedicated some time to learn about bridles, hanging systems, rigging in VW and Braceworks.
I still haven't found many tutorials that are explicit, they usually start from a more advanced knowledge, for example in bridles I still couldn't understand these different parts in their creation.

I'm currently working on a Bridle toolset learning path for the Vectorworks University to help address this .

7 hours ago, Cristiano Alves said:

For example, the same method for creating bridles (dead hang in this case) generates different results:

What have you set the 'Default Bridle Parameter' to in the Bridle preferences?