How to add image to curved surface?

Dubman

I'm trying to add a photo image to a 16' radius by 20' ht. surface which was made from an extruded radius line. I can add the image to a rectangle between the radius ends. No where in VW Help is there anything about applying images to object on what type of object it need to be or how to add to a radius object.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks  

Thanks Pat, that is what I figured out too, just can get the image sized correctly as a texture & apply it on the continuous nurbs surface.  So at least I can get it on the flat areas. Sad thing is others in my office that are SketchUp users say how easy it is to do after I told my boss VW is like Sketchup on steroids.

Screenshot 2023-02-24 080802.png

Edited by Dubman
update

VW can certainly texture the curved portions, but not necessarily based on how you generated the object. Rendering and textures are not really my thing. Hopefully one of the render gurus will help us both out here.

1. I assume this is just a test/sample, but I have usually heard of people either using a plane far away to hold the image texture or a cylinder to wrap around the model.

2. Check your Map Type and you might find something that works better. 

image.png.cfbef702881592b2a3c56b1bb0cb0a64.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dubman said:

Sad thing is others in my office that are SketchUp users say how easy it is to do after I told my boss VW is like Sketchup on steroids.

Everything is easy when you know how to do it 🙂.  Either program can make short work if this task without technical difficulty.  Post the file, the desired texture. And a sketch of your intended outcome.  This will make it easy for one of us will help you out.

alternatively, there are lessons on Vectorworks University which will show you how.

• Like 2

Update, Jeff I could not find anything in Vectorworks University on this when searching for it but will keep looking since you say it is there. Thanks.

Elite Exhibits, no it does not repeat  its self, I actually have 2 different photos the Designer was having me place on the backing object to see how much backing we need from looking out the windows in a set house model. 

Before I could try anything mew the production manager saw what we were doing & said no way could they afford a 360 backing, so we are no looking a 2 or 3 different backing locations & from my model had enough info to determine the lengths of each for the windows we will see out of to match the exterior location. But I will be searching the VW University for the tutorial & applying Kevin's info so I can learn how to do this in the future.

Thanks again to you all!

On 2/24/2023 at 10:32 AM, Kevin K said:

@Dubman...This can be achieved 🙂. You do need to do some quick math so the texture repeats correctly on the image and configure the Object Info data correctly as well.

I created something close to what you showed in your earlier post, with a sort of rounded rectangle shape....

So....here we go...I attached a 2022 version file so you can better see how this was done.

322973398_Screenshot2023-02-24at5_12_01AM.thumb.png.cd1520575d0c29a34d3efa94c0828871.png

If If you extract a nurbs curve from the top, or bottom of the shape you will get the overall length of that curbs curve.

1611879032_Screenshot2023-02-24at5_11_04AM.png.6de5a95635d1f8afd1920814da9d9c17.png

In this case you can see the length of the nurbs curve is about 80 feet....

Then, in choosing the image to map to the surface, configure the length widget feature size to match the overall length of the nurbs curve....again in this case, about 80 feet...this way you won't get any overlap from the repeating texture..

2077568104_Screenshot2023-02-24at5_09_53AM.png.3be590c50dd6ead5ee33862b1460c89b.png

** Make sure to use the texture mapping using the 'Surface UV' option...all the other mapping options don't seem to work very well.

Also, you will need to mess with the mapping options a bit...meaning the image may come in upside down and not mapped correctly vertically, etc, but you can sort that out in seconds from the OIP.

There ya have it!  

Kevin, what I'm having problems with is VW will not allow me to extrude an nurbs curve into a nurbs surface. VW tells me There were objects selected that were locked or  are illegal in extrudes and sweeps. I was fighting this before. I started with a rounded rectangle & then converted it to a nurbs curve, but then could not get it to extrude. So I must be making the nurbs curve wrong.  How did you extrude the nurbs curve? I understand the image sizing more now. Thanks

389660749_imageonsurface.vwx 6.64 MB · 2 downloads

@Dubman yeah, you can't extrude a nurbs curve directly.

What may prove to be easier for me to explain, is if you could upload your file in a 2022 version and I can sort things out for you, with some explanations...That possible? You can send it to me in a message if you don't want to post it here directly on the forum. 

40 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

@Dubman yeah, you can't extrude a nurbs curve directly.

What may prove to be easier for me to explain, is if you could upload your file in a 2022 version and I can sort things out for you, with some explanations...That possible? You can send it to me in a message if you don't want to post it here directly on the forum. 

Yes Kevin, the file is on my office computer so first thing Monday morning I'll send it VW2022 version in a message to you. I know there has to be a way, I'm just not seeing it. Thanks!

Kevin, attached is your file with my tries in creating a nurbs surface from a extruded rounded rectangle. I've tried many other ways but kept getting separate nurb surfaces for each radius/curves area & flat areas, not continuous. But I  was able to split a curved rectangle & make a extrude with the curved part at each end for this is what we are going to use because to 360 one would be to expensive. With this extrude I was able to apply your textured image on the surface including the curved ends.

But still would like to know how you created the continuous nurbs surface that you sent me, that I can not make happen. So attached here is your file with my extrude with image & a rounded rectangle that is were I have been starting from for you to show/explain how you got to the continuous nurbs surface.

Thanks!

960373664_BackingSamplev2022.vwx

On 2/24/2023 at 10:07 AM, jeff prince said:

Everything is easy when you know how to do it 🙂.  Either program can make short work if this task without technical difficulty.  Post the file, the desired texture. And a sketch of your intended outcome.  This will make it easy for one of us will help you out.

alternatively, there are lessons on Vectorworks University which will show you how.

Jeff, do you remember the name of the VW University lesson for this? I've searched each one last night & still can not find anything for this. Thanks

5 minutes ago, Dubman said:

Kevin, attached is your file with my tries in creating a nurbs surface from a extruded rounded rectangle. I've tried many other ways but kept getting separate nurb surfaces for each radius/curves area & flat areas, not continuous. But I  was able to split a curved rectangle & make a extrude with the curved part at each end for this is what we are going to use because to 360 one would be to expensive. With this extrude I was able to apply your textured image on the surface including the curved ends.

But still would like to know how you created the continuous nurbs surface that you sent me, that I can not make happen. So attached here is your file with my extrude with image & a rounded rectangle that is were I have been starting from for you to show/explain how you got to the continuous nurbs surface.

Thanks!

960373664_BackingSamplev2022.vwx 6.39 MB · 0 downloads

Never mind Kevin, just got the continuous nurbs surface by using the loft tool, totally forgot about using it, now trying to get your image on it.  Thanks

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Dubman said:

Never mind Kevin, just got the continuous nurbs surface by using the loft tool, totally forgot about using it, now trying to get your image on it.  Thanks

6 minutes ago, Dubman said:

Now I was able to get your image on the continuous nurbs surface at 20' ht. So I can see playing the the image input size & the rendering Mapping setting to get the correct position. Attached is my file showing the continuous nurbs surface & your textured image. Thanks again for the help!

243081790_BackingSamplev2023v2022.vwx

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Dubman said:

Jeff, do you remember the name of the VW University lesson for this? I've searched each one last night & still can not find anything for this. Thanks

Possibly not the exact content you are looking for but there is a bit in this video (08:38 onwards) about applying images as textures to objects:

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/scorm/player.php?a=89&currentorg=articulate_rise&scoid=178

Not sure it will teach you anything you haven't figured out for yourself during the course of this thread though!

• Like 2

@Dubman BRAVO!!  I see a little persistence paid off! 🙂 It is satisfying, is it not, when you get something like this to actually work.

.....and see what you learned along the way!! Good work...

And now the you are a pro at using loft surfaces, etc...all of us here on the forum expect you to show US how to model a "Black Hole" out there in space !  🙂

• Like 3